Chapter 11

As we walk through the trees the light that shines through the canopy slowly starts to dim the longer we walk. As the path darkens to the point where I can barely see Om's back in front of me, yellow glowing orbs float up from the ground and lift up off of the trees around us.

"Woah."

I reach out to touch one. Right as my finger is an inch in front of it, it blinks out. I snap my arm back to my chest. "What are these?" I ask.

Om glances back and catches sight of the glowing orbs. "They are firelights. When it gets dark and there is movement in the woods, they light up and follow so that we don't need to travel in the dark."

"That's so cool," Cam says from behind me. I can't see his face but I can imagine it. His eyes are probably wide open with awe.

I'm sure mine are too. "They're very handy."

Om nods. "Yes. We'll be at the site soon."

I nod. I'm no longer worried about making it to the camp before dark. I expected this place to be horrifying when it gets dark, but instead it's just as beautiful at night as it is during the day. Can this place get any better?

After a few more moments of walking in silence the trees start to spread out and become fewer and fewer. We must be at another opening.

As soon as Om steps between two trees they disappear in a bloom of bright yellow light.

"Om?!" I call after them.

"Still here," they reply.

I share a concerned look with Cam before following Om.

When I step between the trees yellow light flashes in my eyes. The world is bright white before fading to a blotchy world of black before getting my full vision back. When it is back my jaw drops.

Up in a tree is a tree house. But not the normal one where it's a bunch of wood slapped together to build something that resembles a house. The tree is warped around the house in a way. Where the tree meets the door the tree melts into the house. Its branches bend and weave around each other to create the walls. They leave gaps for the door and two windows on the front.

"What? But, how?" I ask. I move closer to it. My arm seems to go up on its own, reaching towards it.

When I realize it, I put it back by my side with a sheepish smile.

Om doesn't seem to notice as they bend down and whisper something. "Hm?" they ask, turning to look over their shoulder when they're done.

I open my mouth but Cam beats me to it. "What is that? How is it like that?"

Om tilts their head.

I sigh and point to the tree house. How do they not know what we're referring to?

"Oh! Are your tree houses not like that?"

I shake my head. "No. Ours are usually a shack built into a tree. Not the tree built as the house."

Om rubs their chin. "That's an interesting concept."

Cam shrugs. "Not really. But how is it like that?"

Om shrugs. "Tace did it."

"How?"

"It's just a thing Tace can do. It's like controlling your thoughts and how they take shape."

"Well, then Tace is extremely creative," I say.

Cam nods. "Tace is wicked."

Om raises a brow. "Wicked?"