Chapter 22

The closer we get to the palace the more crowded it gets. Om continues to push their way through the crowd, pulling us behind. People grumble as we do but I can't bring myself to care. I just can't believe our luck. How is it even possible that we still made it in time to hear the announcement?

Something heavy sits in my stomach, but I try to ignore it. Right now all I want is hope and happiness at something finally going right for us.

After more pushing our way through, we finally make it closer to the front. We're separated from a large platform by just a few rows of people. But we're still close enough to see everything on the platform. It sticks out from the palace almost like a balcony. Expect there's no railing so I can't imagine anyone using it all that often. Where it connects with the palace there's a door and standing on either side of the door are two guards. I'm not the most positive about whether or not they are guards because they're dressed like everyone else, but I'm guessing they are because they hold staffs with arrowheads on the end and are the only two on the stage at the moment.

I glance around the crowd. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Someone who looks like they could have kidnapped Peggy? Someone who could lead us to her? Peggy herself? But as I continue to scan the crowd and see only the heads and faces of eager subjects waiting for saving words from their king, I drop the hopes of finding her or anyone else.

I turn back to the front. The platform is still empty. The knot in my stomach tightens. I turn and look at Om. Their eyes scan the crowd before turning back to the palace and then on me. "Do you know when he'll be out?" I ask.

They shake their head. "All I know is that when I went out and asked, people told me that it was starting soon, but I don't know how soon."

My leg starts to bounce. I chew my lip as my eyes dart from the platform to the door leading to it and the crowd. I want this announcement to go by fast. I need to learn if he has something important to say, or if he knows anything about Peggy. And if he doesn't I need to know that too. Because if he doesn't then I have nothing. No way to find Peggy. No more notes left behind from her kidnapper. I'm hoping this means I'm on the right path, but for all I know it could mean I'm not.

A hand lands on my shoulder. I jump but turn and see Cam.

"It'll be alright," he says. A spark dances in his eyes.

I nod and take a deep breath. He's right. Even if we don't get any information I'm sure we'll be able to find another way.

Movement on the platform catches my attention. I whip around to find a man with black curly hair and a bronze glow taking the center of the stage. The crowd around us cheers and applause for him.

That must be King Za.

He spreads his arms wide, a grin overtaking his bronze face. He soaks in the cheers from the crowd. He wears a branch woven crown on top of his head, the sunlight seems to reflect off it as if there's a piece of something shiny in it.

I can't seem to take my eyes off him.

"Good evening!" he says. He drops his arms down to his side. His gaze sweeps over the crowd as they silence around us. For a moment it almost seems like his jade eyes stop on me. But before I can really think about it they're sweeping the audience again and stop on the opposite side of me. "Thank you everyone for coming out here today. It means a lot to me."

A snicker sounds from beside me. I turn to Om with raised eyebrows, but Om stays focused on Za.

I turn back around as he starts speaking again. "I have very important news for you all today," he starts. "As you all know our beloved Tace is slowly dying out. I don't need to remind you all of what will happen to us when Tace is near the very end." He hangs his head. "Part of the reason Tace is dying is my own fault."