Pas de deux

Forbidden friendship How to Train Your DragonJohn Powell

How to Train Your Dragon
John Powell

George tried to get Dream to have fun in the next four states. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and Colorado. Whether it was in an attempt to get him drunk or try some "safe" drug, Dream refused him. Over and over and over until they hit new Mexico and their manager pulled him aside. Not only were their articles about the upcoming music he was yet to produce, but there were also sick rumors and gossip spreading like wildfire.

It started with poor sleep due to the tour busses breaking down, this left everyone on edge with a temper. Then all hell broke loose when Wilbur got into it with Sapnap. Dream could still hear their terse verbal assault towards each other. Hands in the other's face for emphasis of drunken sleep-deprived points. The flashes of photography from the street away.

Sapnap was carried off by Dream falling asleep limp over his shoulder like a young child. George pulled Wilbur silently away with kind fingers and soft words to combat the ones his friend spit willingly at him. There was too much for Dream to covenant with Sapnap to even think about the tense George situation.

It was inevitably all over the news and somehow immediately Dream's fault. His band, his problems, his mistakes. The sound of his parents' dissatisfaction could almost be heard from thousands of miles away. It was let known as much with a text from his parents asking how the tour was going. The text went unanswered.

"He's a prick," Sapnap's loud grumble woke Dream up from the first sleep he'd seen in days. "Just because... and I said nothing to the bastard."

The smell hit him immediately and he contemplated if he even had enough willpower to fight with it today. Nonetheless, he pulled himself up from the tour bus mattress and set his socked feet on the creaky floor. With a small glance at the time, he'd only been asleep for thirty minutes. Half-past four am and the bus was stopped once more.

"Just because he's... Dream! When did- Hey!"

The ziplock snagged between guitar calloused fingers, ripped directly out of Sapnap's grubby grip. Next came the blunt, stubbed out on an ashtray and confiscated like a phone in a high school setting.

"The fuck is your problem!"

Dream looked at him and said nothing. Sleep was a heavyweight on his eyelids and so was anger. Sapnap breaking not only one, but two rules within the previous twenty-four hours were pushing him over an edge. Quackity snorted behind him, "buzz kill."

Dream snapped, "you know the rules. The only one for this bus. Don't smoke in it."

He'd never seen Sapnap roll his eyes so blatantly at him like that. Almost all the way into his skull like Dream wasn't his friend. More or less like Dream was his only burden in life. It hurt more than he'd ever let on. Burning beneath his ribcage like the smell of marijuana in his nose.