Chapter 2 - CHANCE

A week had gone by and Abby was realizing that this might be a permanently horrible situation. No matter the efforts she made, no one knew who One Direction, Harry, Liam, Niall, Zayn, or Louis were. 

She decided to take a long walk to clear her head. She ended up in the village center and was starting to get a little hungry. She spotted a coffee shop up ahead, so she decided to stop for a coffee and a snack. While walking over, the smell of freshly baked bread wafted through the air. She was instantly hooked. There appeared to be a bakery up ahead. She decided to try it instead of the coffee, since the smell was so inviting. 

She walked in and it appeared to be empty. Abby thought this was odd since you could smell the bread for miles. No matter, she walked up to the counter and ordered a freshly baked croissant and a drink. 

It was an older man that served her, but by the sound of his voice, there seemed to be a younger boy working behind the register as well. He looked oddly familiar from the back. Abby thought nothing of it, as she sat down and ate her croissant. 

Just as she got up to throw out her garbage she looked behind the register to see if the boy’s face would ring a bell and her jaw dropped. The boy noticed this and asked politely, “Erm sorry, can I help you?” Abby’s heart began to race. The boy she recognized from the back and then from the front was Harry Styles! It couldn’t be him though, could it? Then she peered at his nametag it said Harry. OH MY GOODNESS, she exclaimed in her head. 

Then she remembered that before Harry became famous, he had worked in a bakery. She tried to approach him calmly. 

“Hi Harry, can I have your autograph?” Harry looked puzzled, wondering how she knew his name, before remembering he had his name tag on. He looked down at it.

“Oh yes,” he mumbled. “Sorry, why do you want my autograph?” He said nicely with a smile. Abby was confused again. 

“Are you not Harry Styles? From the band One Direction?” Abby asked hopefully. 

“My name is Harry yes, how do you know my last name?” 

“So you are Harry Styles from One Direction?” asked an excited Abby. 

“That’s my name, but I’ve never heard of a band called One Direction.” 

Abby was sad. One Direction had literally been erased from existence and they’d never be a band again. A small tear escaped her eye and she quickly wiped it away. Harry saw this and asked his manager if he could have a minute with Abby to find out exactly what was going on. After all she seemed like a very kind, attractive, young girl. They sat down at a table for two.

“Listen, I don’t know how you know me, but I do have a band, we’re called...” at that moment it all clicked with Abby and she said at the same time as Harry, “White Eskimo!” Harry looked stunned. 

Of course, she thought. The band he was in before One Direction! Abby felt happy again, for at that moment she realized that One Direction might have been erased from existence, but not Harry Styles; which meant probably neither were Niall, Louis, Zayn or Liam. It was almost as if One Direction had never happened but all the information and facts Abby knew of the boys before their success, still existed. 

I guess to say, ‘be careful what you wish for’ would be an understatement here. Abby remembered wishing that she was the only girl in the world who knew who One Direction were, when she was standing in line at their signing. 

She remembered the strange feeling she had gotten right after she said it and how Lily brushed it off as nothing but nerves. Boy, was Lily wrong. Now all that was left for Abby to do, was to explain to Harry everything that had happened, and hope he didn’t think she was a psycho.