35 | Million Years Old

"What makes you think I'd even want to be a Dauntless leader?"

Four looks so incredibly conflicted, I can't keep up with the changes in his expression. "It's not something you want–it's something you do, it's an obligation."

"And you think I'm good at... what?" I'm trying hard to figure out what he means but nothing is coming to mind.

"Your father told me something about you. How you'd change the world and I didn't see it until tonight." I feel my face wrinkling in confusion, "You don't exactly hide your distaste for the Abnegation but... the way you helped Tris tonight showed true selflessness."

My chest constricts as my mind races through every instance I've ever been around Four. Does he watch everyone so keenly? Or just me? I've never said I disliked Abnegation out loud in front of him. "What are you saying? I'm so confused."

"I'm saying that you have to get first by the end of initiation. You see how Eric is, now imagine dealing with him for the rest of your life."

That thought does make me uneasy. "Okay, so what? Wouldn't I have to deal with him even more if I were to become a leader?"

He nods, "Yea, but Max doesn't exactly like Eric."

"So that's why he's always pissy whenever you 'challenge' his leadership, he was the second choice–wasn't he?"

Four smiled thinly, "I was the top initiate and ended up choosing to train the newbies. And even though Eric has his power, he's still a dickhead to everyone. Mostly you initiates though."

"He is so pathetic," I almost pity Eric and his insecurities. "He's such a goddam coward, oh my god. Is that why he made you fight me? To try and show power and maybe cut me out in the process?"

"Exactly so," Four admitting all this to me changes the way I see him entirely. "Come on, you need some sleep." He ushers me out of the bathroom and points at the bed.

I'm pulling my shoes off when I offer him a smile, "How'd you know I didn't like Abnegation."

Four shrugs, "Takes one to know one."

I'm thinking about that when I'm falling asleep and right before I slide into slumber–I figure out what he means. Four's from Abnegation.

Four's in the shower, I hear it before I'm even completely awake. I look beside me and Tris is sitting up, clearly in pain. "Hey." She croaks and I twist my body–listening to it crack.

"This bed is stupid comfortable," I mumble, feeling well-rested for the first time in weeks.

She chuckles before wincing, "Only hurts when I breathe, could be worse." Tris jokes and I shake my head at her. "He just got in there." She must have seen me staring at the door.

"I need to sort my hair out, that's all."

"I kind of thought you were bald for a little bit there. Then Four threw those knives at you and well–"

My cheeks pale as I remember that. He was only doing it so Eric wouldn't punish us himself–I think. "Can't believe you thought me bald."

Tris blushes red, "Sorry. You're the first person I've ever met who wore a head covering for religious reasons."

I shrug, "It's whatever, do you need some water?" She nods and I jump up to get her one of the bottles that are sitting on the counter. There's a note; For Rita & Tris. I smile and bring her one where she's sitting on the bed.

Then I work on removing my cap. My hair is a mess, I can feel from the way it's standing up everywhere. "I don't even know how it got out of the ponytail," I mumble, trying to find it amongst my curls.

"Let me," Tris offers and I decided why not and scoot backward on the bed so she doesn't have to lean. Her thin fingers work through the knots carefully as she tries to undo the damage. "Your hair is so long, I'm surprised at how flat you get your coverings."

I know exactly when she pulls the hair tie from my hair, there's the telltale snap that lets me know it broke.

"Oh, it's broken." She says and I sigh.

"I kind of expected that, it's like a million years old anyway."

Tris continues detangling my hair anyway, it feels so nice to have it unrestrained. "You should wear your hair down like this."

"Maybe in the future, I think I'll leave the cap off for today. I gotta go to the pit and get a new scarf though. I don't want to go back to the dorms."

"I can braid quite well, do you want me to do that?" She offers, hand lingering on my hair lightly.

My eyes light up, "Will you? That'd save me so much time." She nods and gets to work. She braids a single braid down the back of my head and neck. I'm securing my cap just as Four exits the bathroom.

Looking perfectly put-together save for the water dripping from his hair. "I'm gonna go to the pit, then head to breakfast, what should I tell everyone?"

Four drops the towel on a chair and then faces us. "Tris you need to act like what happened rattled you," Right before she speaks he lifts his hand, "I know you don't want to, but if you do... maybe the other transfers will protect you. Because you can't fight Peter and the others out of the rankings but you can edge them out."

What Peter said to Tris the other day is sounding a bit too real now. "Do we mention you?" I ask.

"No, say Rita found you after some unknown assailant... took care of them." I can see how his hand tightens around the back of the chair.

It seems we're all on edge after last night.

"I don't want them to know they–"

"You don't have any choice," We're talking over one another and spare each other a glance before I clear my throat, "If you seem fine that'll only make Peter angrier. And if there's a next time I am pushing that asshole into the chasm. See how he likes it."

Tris' face is still so red, she's probably irritated we're dogpiling her. "Fine. But I don't want to do this."

"Tris, you're not pretending or manipulating anyone by showing your weakness–I can see you wince every time you... move. It's fine to let your hurt show a little. Just... let yourself be vulnerable so they leave you alone for a little while."