{8} ~Jujutsu Sorcerer~

Today I decided to take another mission by myself. One that'd take a full day. That way I wouldn't have time to think about Suguru's date.

"You've been asking for a lot of missions lately. What's the motive?" Yaga sensei asked.

"Just trying to get stronger. Satoru and Suguru are way ahead. I'll try my best to not be nuisance to them on our team missions." I answered. What I said was true but that was only half of the reason.

"Don't be so hard on yourself Makino-san. Everyone has their own pace and those two aren't human. Anyways you said you wanted a time consuming or hard mission right? I have just the one for you."

Yaga-sensei told me the details to my mission. Apparently a rural place a bit outside of Tokyo was having strange occurrences. They put some sorcerers on the case but some grew tired of it. There were just too many curses to exorcise. It became tedious.

Yaga-sensei drove me out there and directed me where to go along with a couple of other sorcerers. One of them being only a grade 3 sorcerer and the other a grade 2. The grade 2 sorcerer was significantly attractive. His name was Kaito Aoki and he was a year older than me.

The curses began to attack right away. They were easy to exorcise but they kept attacking. Once you killed one than other appeared. It happened over and over again. It definitely wore us out. But something was off about these curses.

"There's no end to them." one of the sorcerers said.

"They just keep coming." the other one added.

"Let's retreat for now and think of a plan." I suggested. They both nodded and we retreated to a farmhouse nearby.

"Did you feeling anything off about those curses?" I asked them.

"Hmm. They were too easy to defeat. Even for me." the grade 3 sorcerer said.

"Exactly. I killed a lot simply by exerting a tiny bit of cursed energy out of my paint brush in one swipe. These probably aren't curses." I explained.

"Then what are they? Puppets?" Aoki senpai questioned.

"I don't think so. I think they might be clones. Or illusions from a bigger curse. They're probably a distraction." I said.

"Then what should we do?"

"Had any of them ever landed a hit one you?" I asked them.

"No." they both replied.

"Then they're most likely illusions, if not then really weak curses. But if they're illusions we should be able to walk right through them and ignore them. Then we'll find the curse creating them." I explained.

"I'll test your theory out first." Aoki volunteered. We both nodded and watched as he walked back out to the field. A "curse" launched at him but went straight through. He turned around and gave us a thumbs up. So they were illusions. The other sorcerer and I regrouped with Aoki. We searched around the field. The grass was tall so we were cautious. We ignored the illusions. We wandered around for what seemed like an hour.

"We're getting nowhere. How do we find the curse?" the grade 3 sorcerer whined. Suddenly a claw grabbed his ankle. He screamed. I wrote "break" and casted it onto the curse's hand. It's claws broke and it let out a cry. It blew a gust of wind, cutting all the grass around us as we ducked down.

"It's strong." the grade 2 sorcerer said.

We got back up and began to fight it. It was an ugly bird looking curse. It was hard to cast any spells with the other sorcerers in the way. The grade 3 sorcerer was all over the place that I couldn't find an opening to hit the curse. All I could do was exert cursed energy from my paint brush to slash through it's skin. It opened its wings sending us flying back. My back hurt but I got back up.

"Wait I think its protecting something." I shouted.

"Oh look it's an egg!" the grade 3 sorcerer said. He ran towards the egg but was killed by the curse protecting it. The bird curse pierced his back with it's claw and threw him away as if he was a piece of trash.

"Lucas!" we both called (name of grade 3 sorcerer). We stood there in horror for a bit but couldn't afford to waste any tears at the moment. I began to draw my lion.

"Keep it distracted! It's protecting a cursed womb! We can't let it hatch or else it might be a special grade!" I called to Aoki senpai.

"Got it!" he yelled back and continued to fight the bird curse head on. Once I finished my lion I sent it to attack the cursed womb along with a bear I painted. It was a new addition to my paintings. I then joined Aoki in fighting the bird curse. We finally defeated the bird curse and my paintings had exorcised the cursed womb.

"We did it." I sighed.

"At the expense of Lucas though." Aoki senpai said and picked up Luca's limp body. Looking at him made me sick. I fought alongside him yet now he's dead. How pathetic. I couldn't even protect him. If only I was Satoru. If only I was...

"Suguru..." I muttered softly as I looked up to see Suguru there at the end of the veil.

"Saori! Are you hurt?" he rushed over and asked. I was so in shock I didn't know what to say. Why is he here? Isn't he supposed to be on a date? So then why?

I didn't feel like thinking anymore. I simply hugged him and began to cry. It was my first time losing a comrade and it made me sick. All of it. Especially myself. He embraced me in a hug as well. He looked over to Aoki who had a solemn look on his face as he carried Lucas to the car.

"It's okay Saori. You'll be okay." were all the words I needed to here from him. I looked up at him teary eyed.

"Suguru. I couldn't save him." I sniffled.

"It's not your fault. He was your senpai. It was his job to protect you." he replied, stilling hugging me.

"B-But he was only a grade 3 sorcerer. I should've..." I began to cry again.

"Don't blame yourself. He was my friend and partner. And I'm your senpai. I'm the one at fault Makino-san." Aoki said.

"Aoki senpai..." I sniffled.

"It's the life of a jujutsu sorcerer." he laughed with tears in his eyes.