Chapter 9

Excalibur: Commander needs them united again. While he prepares for the assault on the Almighty, we're going to find Cayde and Ikora. Luckily, we picked up an odd signal from Cayde's Ghost. It's being boosted somehow from a centaur called Nessus. Which is strange. Centaurs are really just big rocks in the outer reaches of the solar system. There should be nothing there.

Nolan: Let's hope he hasn't done anything stupid.

Jaune: Knowing him, he probably has.

Artifact's Edge, Nessus

Excalibur: Here we go. Tracking Cayde's signal now. I think I'm getting something!

Cayde: In over my head...  trap... ?

Excalibur: Vex trap? What is Cayde getting us into this time? Something around here is blasting that signal into space. We find that something, we'll find Cayde.

Both of them follow the signal.

Excalibur: There! The signal's coming from that wrecked ship!

Both of then climb aboard the wreaked ship as Jaune's Ghost Excalibur scans the signal generator.

Failsafe: Hello! Are you here to rescue the Cayde-6?

Nolan: Whoa! You're not Cayde!

Failsafe: The Cayde-6 is currently caught in a teleportation loop. He's over there. Now he's over THERE. Oop!

Excalibur: He's moving? Well that's... complicated.

Jaune: Great.....more work.

Failsafe: I can help you! But I'm gonna be super unpleasant about it.

Nolan: I'm sorry — what?

Failsafe: I have uploaded his new coordinates to you! Against my better judgement.

Jaune: Uh... OK?

Nolan: I have a bad feeling about this.

They start heading to the coordinates.

Failsafe: May I help you with anything else?

Jaune: Yeah... are you OK? You sound a little... off.

Failsafe: Call me Failsafe! I boosted the Cayde-6's signal in hopes he would be rescued. And look! Here you are!

Excalibur: Oh, I see! She's just an AI. A malfunctioning AI.

Failsafe: I heard that. At your service!

Nolan: Great, this is going to get annoying real quick.

Hallows, Nessus

Excalibur: Centaurs are supposed to be just giant icy rocks. How did all this happen?

Failsafe: A robotic alien entity called the Vex have achieved 92.014 percent conversion of the Centaur Nessus.

Jaune and Nolan find Cayde trapped in some sort of Barrier.

Jaune: Cayde!

Cayde: Someone there? Listen, don't ask me how this happened — I don't have time to explain what I don't have time to understand.

Failsafe: Warning! The Vex will vaporize you!

Cayde disappears in the teleport loop and is replaced by Vex.

Nolan: Vex!!

Jaune: Where did they come from?!

Both of them fight them off.

Jaune: So, Failsafe. What exactly happened here?

Failsafe: The Cayde-6 attempted to manipulate the Vex portal system. He is now trapped in a nonlinear loop. In my defense, I tried to warn him. He's like, not that smart.