CHAPTER IV

Note: The interviews with the Havenites (SCP-9202) are continuations of each other (i.e., Cameron's interview continues from Salvia's, Safiya's continues from Cameron's, Fitch's continues from Safiya's, etc.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avatar.

Avatar...

Do you slumber still?

Cameron forced her dry, cracked eyelids to split open, causing pain to flash through her entire skull. Standing over her, silhouetted against the sun, was Petrus Draconis, surrounded by several unfamiliar figures.

"At last she wakes," the Owl remarked.

"So it would seem," the Snake agreed.

"No, she slumbers still," the Buck corrected them.

"No, she is beyond the waking," the Doe declared.

"Beyond? How do you figure?" the Wolf wondered.

"This IS, but is not YET," the Bat responded.

Then she slumbers still, Draconis mused, rubbing his chin.

A new figure appeared, stepping between Draconis and the Buck to peer down at the fallen Avatar. It was brighter than the sun, made entirely of white light—except for its empty, void-filled eyes.

"Yes. She slumbers... but not for long," the Mask breathed.

-

Cameron gasped loudly and jerked straight up, drenched in sweat. What the—where am I—what's going on?! she thought, her mind running wild.

"Right on time!" Imperio announced, jolting the Avatar back to reality. "We just landed."

Cameron blinked, looking at the other Retrieval Team members on her left and right.

"Hey... you okay there, Camporee?" Hatchet asked, leaning forward to look at her from a few seats down.

"...I—"

"Get 'em outta here," Imperio ordered his men, cutting off Cameron's hesitant response. "Buck wants 'em interviewed as soon as possible."

"Roger that, Commander," several soldiers said in unison, leading the Havenites out of the carrier and toward the imposing concrete structure in front of them.

The Retrieval Team stared at the building, stunned by its immense size. "So this is Site-19, huh?" Marx remarked, paling a bit. "A little bigger than I thought it'd be."

"Well, we house more skips here than we'd care to count, so yeah. It's gotta be big." Commander Imperio motioned toward the turrets mounted atop the building with his gun. "See those up there? Those fire anomalous tank-busters. You try to run, you're dead before you can even think."

"Thanks for the warning. But I thought you weren't supposed to be talking to us," Marx pointed out, smirking.

"I'm not allowed to ask questions," Imperio reminded him. "I can talk all I want."

"You asked us if we saw the turrets."

"That was rhetorical."

"Still technically a question."