CHAPTER VII

Drs. Buck and Collingwood sat in the former's office with an array of computer screens set up before them. Portrayed on each screen was the silhouetted form of a member of the Overseer/O5 Council, otherwise known as the shadow government that rules the entire world. Though their faces were unseen, Dr. Buck could practically feel the annoyance radiating from the Council.

"Make this quick, Dr. Buck" were the first words out of O5-1's mouth. "We don't have all day."

"I assure you, One, this will only take a few minutes out of your day," Dr. Buck promised. "As stated in my meeting request, I'm merely proposing a change of class for SCP-9202—specifically, an upgrade from 'Euclid' to 'Archon'."

"And your reasoning for such a proposal?" O5-11 asked.

"The state of their homeworld," Dr. Buck responded. "If their accounts are to be believed—"

"If?" O5-3 interrupted incredulously. "Come on, Buck. Surely you don't mean to tell us you came here without solid details supporting this proposal!"

"Their presence and motives are evidence enough for—"

"Alleged motives," O5-5 broke in. "All we really know is that they came from another world and they want SCP-001. Besides that, there is no evidence to support their claims."

"Every other bit of information they've given us has been trustworthy," Dr. Buck argued. "Everything they've told us about themselves and SCP-001 has been confirmed by tests and 001 itself, so why should we not believe their claims about their world?"

"Be that as it may, the 'Archon' class designation does not pertain to other realities, Buck," O5-8 pointed out. "Their release is not necessary for the safety of ours—therefore, this meeting is meaningless."

"Forgive me, Eight, but I beg to differ," Dr. Buck snapped. "SCp-001 is an unpredictable threat that, while helpful at times, is nothing more than a loose cannon capable of causing several XK, SK, and/or CK class scenarios. His removal from our dimension should be considered essential for its protection."

"In the past, we would agree with such a statement," O5-2 admitted. "However, as of late, SCP-001 has been far more beneficial than detrimental. His removal may very well cause the opposite of the intended effect."

"Agreed," O5-12 put in. "Need we remind you that SCP-001 has a pending invitation to Mobile Task Force Alpha-9?"

"Need I remind you that he has yet to respond to said invitation?" Dr. Buck retorted hotly. "Nor has he expressed any desire to join that task force!"

"So what? You're saying that because he won't become part of Alpha-9, he is still a threat?" O5-4 sneered. "Don't be a fool, Buck. SCP-001 has established itself as a powerful ally of the Foundation. We will not allow him to be removed at the unsubstantiated behest of the 9202 anomalies."

"Let's just take a vote already," O5-6 grumbled, sounding bored and irritated. "This meeting was not worth our time."

"I concur," O5-1 remarked. "All in favor of changing SCP-9202's class to 'Archon'?"

The room was silent. Dr. Buck sighed and lowered her head, rubbing the bridge of her nose. Dr. Collingwood pressed her lips together, a defeated expression on her face.

"All opposed?" O5-1 inquired.

"Nay," the other O5s chorused.

"Thank you. Dr. Buck, you are dismissed—and this meeting is adjourned." With that, O5-1's screen went dark, followed by the screens of the other Council members.

Dr. Buck remained in her position while Dr. Collingwood placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'll put the facility on high alert," she told Buck quietly. "You should probably take a break."