𝑫𝑰𝑪𝑰𝑶𝑻𝑻𝑶

Yule is, and always has been, the Black family's favourite holiday, which automatically made it their speciality

Yule is, and always has been, the Black family's favourite holiday, which automatically made it their speciality. They all loved the glitz and glam side, but they also loved the warm, cosy, family side. Plus, they were known for being cold towards others, so it just went with their personality.

Estelle loved this time because in every life she has lived, she's been able to witness what yule does to others. She has witnessed many wonders and horrors. She has witnessed the destruction of mortals, but she has also witnessed their wonders and fulfilments. And every moment she walks the mortal world during yule she has seen what she thought to be impossible – pesky mortal humans loving one another.

Black manor during yule, Estelle has come to realise, is chaos and she loves it. From Walburga screeching at everyone to make sure all the decorations are perfect, Sirius pranking everyone (bar Estelle; he learned. Although sometimes she joins), Lucius being bullied by Estelle, Narcissa constantly bugging everyone by pulling them away from their activities to discuss robe colours, and, finally, Draco always bringing mud into the house from playing quidditch, which made all the ladies and house-elves furious.

Estelle just wishes Mortimer would be there with her to witness it all. He still hasn't come back, and tomorrow is yule – their favourite holiday to celebrate with Helena and little Luna. But she just sighed and shook herself of such thoughts; they would not help her nor would they change anything.

Rubbing her hands down her trousers, she stood up and ran a hand through her midnight mane while letting out a shaking breath. 'Yule is a happy time of year,' she told herself, 'thinking of likelihoods that won't happen will only hurt.'

Not wishing to dwell any longer, she stormed out of her room to join her family for their pre-yule dinner.

As she walked to the dining hall, the eyes of past Blacks followed her. She knew why, of course. Dead beings can sense other dead beings, and, technically, she is dead; a dead ruler at that.

Walking past Arcturus III, she stopped in her tracks and turned around with a smirk on her face, "Well, well, well." she said slowly, "What do we have here?"

The portrait of Arcturus Black III looked at her in amazement and gave a mighty roar of laughter, "My, my. If it isn't little Lillita Hartley?" he shook his head with a mischievous smile, "Or should I say, Estelle Black?"

Estelle could not help the beaming smile that took over her face, "You should say, yes." she chuckled, nostalgia evident in her eyes, "Tis been a while, hasn't it, old friend?"

Portrait Arcturus leaned back in his chair, leaning an arm on the table beside him, all the while looking up at the wall beside Estelle, "It has, it has, yes. For me, it's been, well, almost fifty years." He examined her for a couple of beats, "But for you, I can only imagine how long."