Ch. VII - King's Ascension

Both launched themselves towards each other, making the sound of their blades pierce the sound barrier. Sparks flew, cries were yelled and cuts were made. One blow that made them both launch back and they started to circle each other.

"Not bad for a King," Aznea panted, wiping the blood that was dripping off of her mouth. She looked irritated by Dann's skill but she wanted to keep fighting.

"What can I say? You learn a thing or two," Dann replied, trying to amuse her. Dann felt a bit tired but only a single drop of sweat went along his face. With the power gained from the Dragon of the North, his endurance was quite a thriller.

The clashing between blades continued over and over until Aznea fumbled by messing up her steps and clattered onto the ground, barely standing.

Dann slowly relaxed his muscles and approached her as his steps felt heavy and menacing. Aznea looked up and saw Dann as a different person. Someone who looked like a monster of some sort, waiting to kill and eat its prey.

"Stay back!" she cried, scrambling to back away from Dann who was approaching her with heavy footsteps. Dann became confused of why Aznea switched to a cowardly-like person when she fell to her knees.

"I beg of you! Stay back!" Aznea was bawling her eyes out, begging Dann to keep his distance. "I thought you were just some king... but NO! You're a monster!"

Dann flinched of what Aznea said to him which made Dann drop his stance. While approaching Aznea carefully, she curled up into a ball, shaking terribly in fear. She was completely covered by Dann's broad shadow.

"Enough with your nonsense!" Dann spat out, clenching his fists. "Why fall to your knees and beg for mercy while you could be fighting for your honour?"

Aznea looked up and was startled by Dann's closeup. Her eyes became locked with Dann's fierce blue eyes that radiated a flame.

"The leader of Sly Swords... I expected more of you. Were you just hiding behind a mere fake of a persona or will you show me your true self?" he said, backing away from Aznea.

Aznea stopped shaking and stood back up, trying to keep her composure. Near her was a spare spear from one of the dead soldiers and Aznea picked it up and tried to keep serious upon the king.

"Why spare me? Why did you talk to me about fighting once again?" Aznea said, circling around Dann, locking her eyes with his once more.

"You may have taken away my kin, however, I am in no right to bring down an opponent that will surrender," responded Dann, preparing his sword once more. His eyes gleamed of a blue flame and his hair started to fade towards a nice blue as well. The same blue started to glow around Dann's blade. "This time, don't back down whenever you fall."

Reassuring her grip on the spear, Aznea took some breathers and prepared for her next attack, however, something wasn't right...

Dann spun around his blade and got ready in a stance that would hold his ground against Aznea's next move. He waited patiently, as if a predator was against another predator, fighting for their prey.

Aznea batted her eyes towards the shadows and nodded as if a plan was finally going in their direction. Just then, she lowered her stance as if she wanted to surrender.

Dann was confused. Why would she do this? Why would Aznea just suddenly surrender after getting this far?

"What are you doing?" Dann questioned her, slowly lowering his guard and weapon. He could not believe of what he was seeing.

"My ability to fight you is unworthy. I am nowhere near your level. However, how would you like to try this one for size?" Aznea grinned as she said her last words and a figure who dashed from the shadows grabbed Dann from the neck and pinned him down from the ground.

In a trance of shock, Dann was led into a mere trap. He clenched his teeth at the sight who pinned him down, the person that Dann wanted dead so he could avenge his brothers.

"C-Codename: Trice..." Dann said weakly as Trice's hand was over Dann's neck, slightly choking him as he was pinned down.

"I really thought you were something else Dann. I thought you would kill me right there and then. But no. You just decided to give me a second chance," Aznea said, squatting down as she mocked Dann for his actions. Dann was furious. He wanted to grab her and speak his mind but he was losing strength as he felt weak as time passes by.

"Trice, you know what to do. Take it away. Without the power of the North, King Dann will be no more," Aznea commanded and Dann tried to get out of Trice's grasp but sadly, Trice's grip could not budge.

The power that the North has given Dann was seeping away from Dann's grasp and into Trice's body. Slowly raising Dann upwards and from there, visible, red lines of energy were seeping out of Dann and into Trice's own body. Dann lost his red hair and it went back to its neutral black.

Releasing Dann who had no energy to even stand up, he coughed and looked up towards Trice who had a menacing aura after they gained the North's power from Dann.

"S-so now what... are you going to do... with the power?" Dann mustered his strength to ask a question. He could not help but to stay glued to the ground, panting heavily.

"Well, we'll make this kingdom ours. Sly Swords will finally rule-" Aznea replied to Dann's question but the sound of a sword piercing her own body interrupted her and blood splattered onto the ground.

Trice grasped their fists as they absorbed Aznea's abilities of wielding daggers and swords and Trice felt the power overflowing in their veins.

"This power... is rightfully mine! I just used this mere association just to get my hands on more and more souls to obtain and to wield their physical abilities," Trice said, as they had their back showing towards Dann. Their shadow completely covered Dann's body as if they grew in size.

However, Dann raised his head and heard the word of what he was looking for, "souls." His mind started to grow furious as everything started to align themselves like a puzzle coming together.

"Sadly, like all the greats, they all die. Especially you, King Dann. Once I take your soul, I will have enough power to even take over a whole continent and soon, the entire world. Possibly multiverses as well," Trice turned their head to look towards Dann and their eyes and Dann's eyes met each other and it felt like two lightning bolts clashed into each other.

"Goodbye... King Dann!" Trice quickly got a blade and was ready to pierce it through Dann's chest. However, a force was preventing Trice to kill him. In fact, Trice's blade was being stopped by Dann's own hands and Dann used the blade as support to stand up.

"Not... on my watch!" Dann said with confident eyes. His body was straightening by each second and he yelled as his fists flared up with blood but then turned into blue flames.

Once Dann finally stood up, he pushed the blade and Trice back that left Trice stumble yet regain their ground.

"What now? Have a death wish?" Trice asked, somewhat frustrated yet confused of why Dann would refuse to die.

"You were the one who stole the souls out of their bodies. My brothers' bodies. I will not accept such a thing! I, King Dann made a promise and I intend to keep it! Let's dance Codename: Trice, you and me! May one survive!" Dann shouted and he suddenly was engulfed within a cyclone of blue flames.

Trice jumped back for safety and suddenly had eyes of greed. There, in front of them was something that history could never change. A prophecy that came true.

"The Ascension of Arario."

Sorry for the long wait! But here it is, Chapter 7!