24 - 𝚂𝚗𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙵𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚜

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"Some things have to be done,
not just for the benefit of one."

└─────────❍─────────┘

I feel like dying.

For real.

The backfire of cursed speech was eating me up from the inside. Each time I would swallow, my throat would sting agonizingly that even my ears hurt.

Suguru had already fallen asleep and it had been five hours since. Kotone checked on him a while ago and she said he seemed to be having a deep and peaceful rest.

I'm glad.

A creaking sound coming after a soft knock made me raise my head. "May I come in?"

Nanami.

Haibara is not with him.

It might be because of the painful backfire or what happened to Haibara that the corners of my eyes started to water uncontrollably. The image of Nanami standing before me was blurry, but I could tell just how restless he looked.

It was too soon to say "it will be okay", and even as time passed, I knew it wouldn't be. That was the pain of losing someone, it wouldn't get any better, we'd just learn how to cope with the pain.

"Nanami..."

"It's not worth it, senpai. No amount of exorcised curses or successful missions can ever measure up to his life." Every word he said brought about an excruciating amount of pain. His hands were balled into fists, head hanging low.

"When you asked why I was training so hard, you were right. I wanted to protect him, too. I feel responsible..."

Suguru's situation was just resolved, but now Nanami...

I didn't know what to do. Haibara's passing was so fresh, heck it only just happened. Even I hadn't come to terms with the fact that I would never get to see his bubbly smile again.

"I'm sorry, Nanami. All I can say is, it's not your fault. Really..." Part of me understood why he came here. He was seeking answers.

I didn't have any.

"I know, senpai. I just feel lost."

I really can't help unless...

"Nanami." I made my decision despite feeling hesitant about the idea. If it would lighten anything for him, I would do it, even if it takes away from me. "Would you prefer to just forget about it...?