26 - 𝙾𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚠

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"Do NOT assume."

└─────────❍─────────┘

"(F/n)?," a soft voice from behind the door prompted me to get up and quickly open it

"(F/n)?," a soft voice from behind the door prompted me to get up and quickly open it. Yume came in with the snacks she got after sneaking out to the nearest convenience store.

"Oi! It's midnight!"

"Yes yes, I know. Now, let me in." She barged her way into my room. "I'm so nervous, don't wanna die yet." She was talking about the Sister School Goodwill Event.

Rolling my eyes at her absurdity, I joined her on the floor and assured, "just do your best, your training won't betray you. Plus your archery's really great."

Yume, despite being inches shorter than every student here, was an excellent archer. It was scary how sharp her eyes could be in battle that even teachers acknowledged how proficient she was. "Opponents aren't always far awaaay."

"Still." I gave her a look. "You're looking down on yourself too much."

She pouted, wrapped her arms around me. Both of us tipped sideways from the force, so I gave her waist a poke. It immediately made her giggle and guard her torso. I stuck my tongue out and reached for the blueberry drink she obviously got for me. "Stop being so hard on yourself."

Yume heaved a deep sigh, retaining the smile on her face. She leaned back against my bed and gazed nowhere in particular. "You know what? When I'm with you, something in me is healing."

Huh?

My lips parted in awe as I turned to her. It wasn't like her to say something cryptic. "You mean?"

She brought her legs closer to her body, hugging them. "I don't know. I'm just really happy I have you, (F/n)-chan."

A soft awkward chuckle vibrated from my chest. I gave her a teasing look and said, "Yume-chan is being sentimental" in a sing-song voice.

Despite my unserious words, a mix of happiness and embarrassment made my heart swell. Growing up in a household such as ours, I found it hard to socialize with other people. I would often be isolated, left out, and forced to enjoy my own company.

During our first year in Kyoto Jujutsu High, Yume approached me, being the only student in the same year. She relentlessly forced herself into my space until she was incorporated into my every day.

She shook her head, a peaceful expression etched on her face. "I just realized that whenever I'm having a hard time, I always think about what you would have done if you were in my place. What you would have told me if you were with me. Kinda channel you a lot."