Chapter Seven

(A few days later)

I woke up and looked around the room. Nothing changed, but something felt off. I don't know what it was, but it was strange. Almost like I was forgetting something. I climbed out of my futon and left my room, being sure to look around the rest of the small apartment before stepping outside. I looked around and sighed, a little confused, but eventually turned around and went back inside.

Not a minute later, there was a knock at the door. I opened it and smiled at the person behind it.

"Goodmorning Atsu." He smiled.

"Goodmorning Ryu. Would you like to come in?" I asked.

"I would, but my sister and I are taking a trip out of town and I just wanted to come by and wish you a happy birthday."

I froze. It's my birthday? I turned and looked at the screen of my phone that had just turned on. I guess it is.

"Oh, thank you. To be honest, I kind of forgot about it." I laughed nervously.

"Chuuya figured you did so he asked me to come by and remind you." Ryu nodded before stepping closer.

Our eyes met and they didn't separate, even as he inched closer and closer to me. My breathing hitched and I could feel my heartbeat speed up. I wondered if he could hear it. His eyes flicked down before meeting mine once again, the action so quick and subtle that I could have easily imagined it.

He stopped moving closer when his breath brushed over my lips.

"May I?" He asked. His voice was soft, capable of making my knees buckle under me. They would have if I wasn't hanging onto the doorframe, still standing where I was when I first opened the door.

"Yeah." I whispered.

He smiled again and, ever so slowly, pressed his lips against mine. My eyes fluttered shut as I kissed back. After a minute, he pulled back. I opened my eyes to find him already looking down at me.

"It was just as good as that night. Maybe even better." He murmured.

I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks. I felt the tips of his fingers brush against the side of my face as he pushed a strand of hair behind my ear. I stared into his eyes, slowly getting lost in them, losing all train of thought as those grey pools lured me in. His voice cut through the air, bringing me back into the consciousness I was slowly losing.

"Promise me you won't go anywhere until I get back?" He asked.

"I promise." I nodded. He grabbed my hand and held it in his. His cool skin having a great contrast against the warmth of my own.

"Call me." He smiled again before leaving a soft kiss on my cheek and disappeared, almost as if he was never there in the first place.

Slowly, I closed my door and leaned up against it, a hand going over my heart as if to check and make sure that I was still breathing. I took a deep breath as everything that just happened centered itself in the forefront of my mind, forbidding me to forget it.

I smiled and turned around so I slid to the floor, my back pressed against the door. He kissed me for the second time. On my birthday. My fingers traced my lips as they tingle slightly, still not used to the feeling of something else against them.

I began to feel the ghost of a hand rest on my hip as another memory came to light.

The man on the seat next to me downed his shot before shifting his gaze to my unfinished glass. Uncomfortable, I shifted away ever so slightly, afraid of the look in his eyes. His attention was then brought to a young woman that sat on his opposite side, relieving me of his gaze. I picked up my glass and took another sip, feeling the light effects of the alcohol in my system.