Chapter Twenty

Atsushi fell asleep leaning against me, his hand loosely holding the glass of water. I take it away and kiss his temple lightly before picking him up and taking him to the bedroom. Once he is settled under the blankets, I brush his hair out of his face and leave the room, closing the door softly behind me.

I move back into the living room and stand in front of the window, watching for Chuuya, Dazai, and Gin's return.

I look back at the glass of water on the table and sigh, picking it up and drinking the rest of it before going to the kitchen to fill it up again, this time taking smaller sips as car doors closed outside.

A knock on the door followed by muffled voices sounds into the living room. I let them in.

"So, what are we going to do? Or, more appropriately, what are you going to do?" Chuuya asks me, being sure to keep his voice down so Atsushi wouldn't wake up. "You're going to have to tell Atsushi sooner or later."

"I know. I'm going to figure something out, but with the boss dead, there isn't much we can do. I can't turn down the position because, with you two not working with us anymore, I have to resume his place and keep everything moving smoothly and keep Atsushi safe."

"That isn't going to be a problem for you though." Dazai commented. "You've always been a natural born leader, you just haven't had the time to show it."

"But that doesn't make the situation any better. Atsushi told me that he hates us, more-so the organization, because he believes that they just kill people. I couldn't correct him because that would be giving away my job as well as losing his trust because I said I hate them as well."

"To be fair, you do hate them." Chuuya says.

"Only the boss." I correct him.

"So you weren't technically lying. Besides, he'll believe whatever you say because you haven't lied to him yet. He has no reason not to trust you." Dazai shrugs.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "I know that, but I don't think he'll understand it when I try to explain to him that we don't actually hurt people. Yeah, we'll rough them up a little bit, but we don't actually kill them."

"Breathe Ryunosuke." Gin murmurs.

I do as she says, feeling the muscles in my shoulders begin to relax every so slightly.

"Okay, let's start from the beginning." I tell them. "We go to the parade and I get a text from a co-worker that the boss's illness finally claimed his life and that he left his will to me. I'm the top executive which means that I am the next in line to lead the organization but have to find a way to break the news to Atsushi without sounding like a complete and total hypocrite and still keep his trust without sounding like a jerk while I do it. Does that sound right?" I ask.

"Yep, now we start the next phase of the plan and figure out what to do with your boss's body without making a huge scene." Chuuya nods, slowly getting lost in thought.

"And then what? Break the news to Atsushi?" I sak.

"Yeah, but we need to figure out how to word it so he doesn't freak out and run. I don't think he will, but we never know with him." Chuuya muses calmly.

"Who?" A small tired voice fills the beat of silence, making the four of us jump and turn to the small light haired boy standing in the hallway.

I begin to internally freakout, managing to keep a calm look on my face.

"It's nothing love." I walk over to him. "We're just talking."

"About what? Is it me? I'm sorry for getting lost." He apologizes, making me laugh softly.