Chapter Seventeen

My eyelids crack open slightly, the dark room making it easy to adjust. I look around and find myself on the couch in Chuuya's living room, still covered in the small blanket he must have covered me with earlier this morning.

Wait, this morning? Was I really that tired? I locate my phone and look at the time.

2:17 a.m.

I have a few text messages from Dazai and Kunikida at the top. I scrolled down a bit and find Ryu's name with a smile.

Ryu
Chuuya talked to me about this morning (4:38 p.m)
I won't apologize again but I love you (4:49 p.m)

I smile before turning off my screen, get up from the couch, and walk back towards Chuuya's room. I wanted to let him know that I was going to head home. Normally I would stay the whole night, but I wanted, no, I needed Ryu's warmth and comfort.

I crack open his bedroom door and peek inside, silently hoping that he would still be awake enough for me to talk for a second. Instead, I smile at the sight. I can barely make out his figure in the dark, but it's there, tucked into the arms of a much taller brunette.

Backing out, I close the door softly before heading into the kitchen. I pull open the drawer closest to the fridge and pull out a pen and some paper.

I went home early this morning...
I needed him
- Atushi

I set the note by his coffee cup and, with the help of my flashlight, locate my keys and a small jacket I left last time I was here.

I walk out of the apartment and lock it back before heading down to my car. I start it up and, with one last glance down at my phone, start the drive home.

"Sealing our love with a kiss, waiting my whole life for this..." I softly sing with the radio. "Watching all my dreams come true, lost in this moment with you."

About fifteen minutes later, I pull into my parking space next to Ryu's car and shut it off before heading inside. I know it's late and the chances of him still being awake are slim, but I don't care. I just wanted to feel his arms and comfort surround me.

Slipping my shoes and jacket off, I set my keys and wallet on the kitchen table before heading back to the room, shedding my shirt and jeans to change into some shorts and an oversized hoodie. I relax into the fabric when Ryu's cologne fills my nose, allowing me to relax with the realization that he really did care for me. I scan his figuer on the bed, finding one of his arms under the pillow, acting as another support for his head, his other arm relaxed in the place I should be. I could see that hand clench and unclench, grabbing for something that wasn't there.

I slowly pull back the blankets and slip under the covers, being careful not to wake him before lifting his arm to lay it acrossed my waist, cuddling into his chest with a deep sigh.

His arm tightened, pulling me even closer as he moved, his lips ghosoting over my forehead. I look up to find his gentle gaze sleepily looking down at me.

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" I whisper.

He shakes his head before burying his nose into my hair and hugged me tighter.

"I love you." He murmurs softly.

"I love you too." I wrap my arms around him, tangling my legs with his to get as close as I could, craving his touch more than normal.

I felt him relax against me even more, drifting back to sleep fairly quickly.

He never asked why I came home so late. Never tried to apologize. Didn't even question why I was so much more clingy than normal. He didn't even look upset or nervous.