01. Picnic on Emma's Hill

It was a peaceful day in the kingdom of Corona and Emma was happily strolling down the streets of her hometown Old Corona. She was on her way to visit her best friend, Varian, to hang out. Varian was the son of Quirin and he loved alchemy. In fact, he usually dedicated his time to practicing alchemy or inventing amazing machines. Varian was very smart, but also clumsy. His intentions were good, but his machines usually ended up causing many destruction.

Just as Emma was getting really close to Varian's house, she heard a loud noise.

Boom!!

"Varian…" Emma whispered. She dashed straight to Varian's house as quickly as she could and called out when she reached the front door, "Varian! Varian, are you alright?!"

The door swung open to reveal a boy in tattered clothes, covered in cuts and blood. "I'm… I'm fine. It's just a little blood," he muttered before collapsing onto the floor.

Time Skip

"Ow, that hurts!" Varian hissed as Emma put some disinfectant on his wounds.

"I know it does, V," Emma pleaded with sympathetic eyes. "But please let me help you."

Varian looked down at the ground and sighed, "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Emma said. "You just need to be extra careful when you're experimenting with chemicals." She rubbed some blood off of Varian's shoulder.

"Ouch!" Varian winced. A tear formed in his eye. Emma wiped it away. After she bandaged Varian's cuts, she pulled Varian close to her and embraced him.

"Thank you, Em," Varian told Emma guiltily. "You didn't have to help me out."

"You know that I'll always be here to help," Emma promised. She ended the hug and asked, "Are you in the mood for a picnic?"

Varian smiled, "Sure! That sounds good right now." His brows furrowed. "Where are we gonna get food?"

"Don't worry," Emma beamed. "I have lunch prepared already." She held up a basket that she had brought with her.

"Oh, no! I couldn't," Varian said. "You didn't have to do all this."

"I've got ham sandwiches in here!~" Emma sang.

"Alright!" Varian shouted as he quickly stood up. "Let's go- ow! Ow, that hurts."

Time Skip

"So, where are we going?" Varian asked curiously as he and Emma were walking.

"We're almost there," Emma replied. "Just gotta get to the top of this hill."

"Ok," Varian grinned. He continued to wobble a bit from his injuries. Emma looked at him with concern.

"Are you ok?" Emma whimpered.

"Uh, y-yeah! I'm-I'm fine. Why… Why do you ask?" Varian fumbled. He winced from the pain in his leg and added, "Actually, I may need a little help."

Emma chuckled and wrapped her arm gently around Varian's shoulder and helped him walk the rest of the way. When they made it up the hill, Varian gasped, "Woah! This is so beautiful."

"I know. It's my favorite hill" Emma smiled. She set the picnic basket down on the grass and motioned for Varian to join her as she sat down. "Let's eat!"

"Yes!" Varian cheered. He sat down besides Emma and pulled a ham sandwich out of the basket. "Ohh, boy! I can't wait to bite into this baby."

Emma giggled then grabbed a ham sandwich of her own. The two then began to eat their lunch together. Afterwards, they laid down in the grass and stared at the clouds in the sky.

"Today was great, Em," Varian sighed. "I'm glad that you came over."

"Why wouldn't I come over?" Emma agreed. "I love spending time with you."

From the corner of her eye, Emma could see that Varian's face was starting to go red. He turned to look at Emma and asked, "Do you want to visit Rapunzel to finish off the day?"

"That sounds like fun! Let's totally go. Are you able to walk on that leg now?" Emma replied.

Varian sat up. "Yeah, I'll be able to," he assured. "My leg feels better." He gave Emma a sweet smile that made Emma's heart pound rapidly in her chest.

"I trust you, Varian." Emma grabbed her basket and stood up. "I'll have to drop my basket off at my house first before we go."

Word Count: 701

I hope you guys liked this first chapter! 😁