04. Kitten

Trigger Warning: More Mild Abuse

The picture above describes the kitten that Emma finds. Just thought you'd like to know ☺️

Snow had continued to pile up on Old Corona pretty quickly, which caused minor discomfort amongst the people. This especially bothered Emma's parents, mainly because they got pissed about almost everything. Emma had begun to feel nervous about hanging around her parents due to their sudden grumpiness, so she usually spent her time with Varian.

One morning, Emma could sense that her parents were in the mood for a fight, so she decided to leave her house.

"Good morning, Mom and Dad," she greeted. "Um, I'm going to go to Varian's house, ok? I'll see you later. I love you! Bye!" She opened the front door and raced outside in the snowy town before they could say anything.

"Man, it's so cold!" Emma shivered. "I hope Varian's home."

On her way, she heard quiet meows and stopped. "Where's that coming from?"

Emma glanced around and noticed a cardboard box resting in a huge pile of snow. She ran towards it and gasped when she saw what was inside the box.

It was a small kitten! It had a very unique fur coat. One half of it was ginger tabby with a blue eye, while the other half was black with a yellow eye.

"Wow, you're incredible!" Emma sighed as she kneeled down next to the kitten's box. She reached out to pet it. "Who would leave such a beautiful kitten out in the snow?" The kitten sniffed her hand and licked it cautiously. "Aww, it's so cute! Wanna come with me, little kitten?"

Emma gently picked up the box with the kitten inside and ran the rest of the way to Varian and Quirin's house. When she neared the house, she shouted, "Varian, Varian! Look what I found! Varian!"

Soon enough, Varian slammed his front door open. "What? What's going on?" He ran to Emma, panting and gasping. He looked severely panicked. "Wh-what happened?"

Emma held up the box with a massive smile on her face. "I found a kitten! Isn't it adorable?!"

Varian peeked his head into the box and his eyes widened when he saw the kitten.

"Oh, this... this is beautiful!" Varian marveled. "Where did you find it?"

"It was sitting in this box that I found in the snow," Emma said, her smile fading. "The poor thing! I couldn't leave it there. I have to keep it!"

"Wh-what'll your parents say?" Varian sputtered. "I-I'm not sure they'll be alright with you taking a cat home."

"Well… what else can I do? I-I really like this cat a-and I don't want to abandon it." Emma looked down at the kitten sympathetically. It looked back at her and mewed sadly. Varian seemed to get the memo. He wrapped his arm around Emma's shoulder and pulled her closer to him.

"Don't worry, Em. We'll figure out something. I promise," he assured. "Let's get you inside. It's really cold out." Varian led Emma and the kitten inside and into the kitchen.

Varian's father, Quirin, entered the room and gave a warm, welcoming smile.

"Nice to see you again, Emma." He then noticed the box that was placed on the table. "What's in the box?"

Varian and Emma shared a glance before Varian spoke up, saying, "Emma found a kitten outside in the snow and we're trying to figure out what to do with it."

Quirin looked inside the box and inspected the kitten carefully. "Well, it seems to be healthy. No signs of infection or anything. It's a very beautiful cat. You're very lucky to have found a breed like this," he concluded. "Are you going to give it to the pet shop?"