03. Nightmares and Pain

Trigger Warning: Mild Physical Abuse

Varian was dreaming. He was in a dark, frightening place with barely any light at all. He shuddered as he wandered around, not expecting to see anything out of the ordinary. He suddenly bumped into something hard and cold. After wincing from the pain, Varian looked up to see that he had run into the same amber that had encased his father, Quirin, over two years ago. Varian started to tremble and shake.

“Dad? Dad! Not again. This can’t be happening! Dad, please, you can’t be trapped again!” Varian cried. He pounded on the amber, tears slipping from his eyes. Loud, whispering voices surrounded Varian and said mean things about him and his past choices. It was getting too overwhelming for Varian to handle.

"Someone, please help my dad! SOMEBODY HELP!” His voice echoed loudly as he shot wide awake.

He began to gasp and pant softly, clutching on his sleeping bag.

"E-Emma? Please… wake up…" Varian pleaded. Emma was still asleep.

"Emma… please… I-I'm scared…"

No response.

Varian sobbed quietly.

“Varian, what’s wrong?”

Varian swung his head around to see Emma with a longing, concerned expression on her face. He flung himself onto Emma and continued to cry. Emma stroked Varian’s hair gently and brought him to a hug.

“It’s going to be ok. I’ve got you,” Emma comforted. Her voice was soft and gentle, which seemed to help Varian to feel a little bit better.

“Was it a nightmare?” Emma pressed.

Varian nodded, sniffling and whimpering.

“Do you want to move your sleeping bag closer to mine?”

“Sure.”

Varian scooted his sleeping bag close to Emma’s, making sure that the two bags were touching. He then slid into his, glanced at Emma, and gently gripped her hand. Emma blushed but didn’t resist.

“Good night, Varian,” she whispered.

“Good night.” Suddenly, Varian became overcome with tiredness. He fell into a deep sleep.

I wonder what he was dreaming about. I hope he's doing ok, Emma wondered before falling asleep herself.

Time Skip

Emma slowly fluttered her eyes open because she heard soft giggling filling the room around her.

"Hmm? What's going on?" she mumbled. As soon as she rubbed her eyes awake, she realized why the others were laughing. Emma looked down to see her hand wrapped around Varian's hand. The heat quickly rose to her face as she squeaked out of shock. Varian suddenly woke up and glanced around the room wildly. When he noticed the situation, his entire face went bright red.

"Ah, E-Emma, I-I'm so sorry," Varian stammered. He let go of Emma's hand and covered his red face with his hands. They were both incredibly flustered.

"When did you two start holding hands, Emms?" Eugene questioned.

"Well, it's just-" Emma started. She paused, then looked at Varian with a questioning look. Varian appeared to give off a pleading expression. "I… I must've rolled over in my sleep and accidentally grabbed his hand," Emma nervously lied. "This is all just a big misunderstanding."

"Yeah, right," Cassandra scoffed.

"Guys, you should stop teasing them," Rapunzel suggested.

"Alright, Blondie," Eugene sighed. "For you."