09. Fever Dream

Warning: A bit of blood

Varian was in an empty, dark oasis surrounded by a thick and damp mist. He tried calling out the names of his friends, but no reply came.

“Where am I?” he muttered to himself. He decided to walk around to see if he’d find anything or anyone. After what seemed to be forever, he finally saw someone standing in the distance. “Rapunzel, Eugene, Cassandra, Lance, Emma, is that you?”

The figure turned around to face him with sad, milky brown eyes. It was Emma! Once she had seen Varian, she darted away as fast as she could.

“Emma, no, wait! Come back!” Varian called out. He ran after her, knowing that she couldn’t outrun him. However, Emma seemed to be faster than usual, which made Varian start to panic a bit. After a while, Emma slowed down her pace and eventually began to walk. “Em, wait for me! Em, I-”

Suddenly, one of the black rocks shot out from the ground towards Emma at the speed of light. Out of sheer panic, Varian fumbled through his pockets, clutched onto a bottle with liquid in it, and flung it at the rock.

“Emma, watch out!”

It was too late. The black rock had already pierced through Emma’s stomach and carried her with it off of the ground. When the glass bottle smashed and let the liquid drip onto the rock, an amber-like substance started to form. Varian stared at the scene in disbelief and horror.

“Emma! I’m so sorry!" Varian cried as he approached Emma quickly. "I'll get you out. Everything's gonna be ok!"

Blood poured out from the corners of Emma's mouth and from her impaled stomach. "What have you done? I'll be stuck here forever," she managed to say.

Tears welled up in Varian's eyes. "I-I'll get you out of there. I promise!" Varian's voice cracked as he spoke. "P-please let me find a way before you're fully encased. I-I don't know what I'd do if I'd lost you." He began to rummage through his pockets frantically, trying to find a way to destroy the amber, but it was no use. He suddenly remembered that only Rapunzel could melt it which made him feel worse since they were isolated from the Princess.

Meanwhile, he kept hearing Emma curse softly, "This is all your fault! You could've saved me if you hadn't thrown that bottle!", which really pressured Varian into trying harder. Then, it happened. Emma had been fully encased in the amber with her final words being, "Look what you've done…"

Varian let out a cry of grief and pounded his fists against the amber. Soon enough, he could sense two figures approaching him from behind. Turning around, he saw Rapunzel and Eugene frowning at him, their eyes dark.

"Princess, Mr. Ryder, it's Emma… she's trapped! You've gotta help her, please! I tried everything, but it didn't work and-"

"There's nothing we can do," Rapunzel said solemnly. "The black rock already impaled her. She's most likely dead already."

"If you hadn't thrown that amber-creating stuff, we could've gotten her out and saved her," Eugene added. "Because of you, it's too late. You've murdered her."

"N-no! Y-you don't understand! I didn't try to kill her, I swear!" Varian stammered.

"You've harmed others in the past," Rapunzel reminded. "What made you think we believed you wouldn't try to do it again?"

Varian faltered. Tears fell from his eyes.

"Guards, take him to the cells!" Rapunzel ordered. Two large guards matched towards Varian and clutched his arms tightly.