06. Pulled Under the Ice

Staying with Varian and Quirin was amazing! They were so loving and fun; just like how Emma had hoped her relationship with her parents would be. In fact, they seemed like the only true family that Emma had ever had and it made her feel truly happy.

One day, Varian beckoned Emma to step outside. Emma was confused, but she obeyed anyway.

When Emma walked out onto Varian's front porch, she noticed that Varian was nowhere in sight.

"Varian?" she called out nervously. "Where are you?" Several moments passed, which left Emma feeling worried.

"Varian?"

More silent minutes passed. Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone dashed out from behind the house in a blur. A huge snowball hurled itself at Emma and hit her directly in her face. Then, the sound of Varian's dorky and adorable laugh filled the air.

As Emma wiped the snow out of her eyes, she said, "Varian? That was you? Oh ho, you are so gonna pay for that!"

She swiftly gathered snow and threw it at Varian, who squeaked as he dodged the snowball easily.

"Dang it!" Emma muttered under her breath.

Varian snorted, "That's some great aim you got there!"

"Y-you just got lucky," Emma retorted. "I'll get you for sure!"

"That is, if you can catch me first!" Varian taunted, sticking his tongue out and blowing a raspberry. He took off running into town.

"H-Hey!" Emma pouted. She ran after him after scooping up more snow. Just when she thought she had lost him, another snowball smacked Emma. She turned her head around and flung her snowball at Varian; she missed him again.

"You have a terrible aim!" Varian jokingly said.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, V," Emma scoffed. "I'm still going to get you. No doubt about it!" She collected more snow and chased after Varian, a little ticked that she kept missing. As the chase continued, the two ended up outside of town in a snowy field. Varian was incredibly ahead.

"How do you…  run so fast?!" Emma gasped and panted.

Varian, meanwhile, was having the time of his life. He had an extra snowball at hand just in case Emma actually caught up with him. As he ran, he looked behind and noticed that he could no longer see Emma. He stopped.

"Where'd she go?" Varian whimpered. "Maybe I ran too fast…?"

A strong breeze blew in his face, which made him shiver slightly. Still no sign of Emma. Varian whimpered softly at the thought of losing her out in the snow. That feeling didn't last long when a loud crunch was heard from behind him.

"Crap, my cover's blown!" Emma muttered. She gave a battlecry and threw her remaining snowball at Varian, who leaped out of the way.

While Emma was recovering from her astonishment, Varian scrambled upright and ran away as fast as he could, yelling, "Ya missed again!"

Emma ran after him in a playful fury. As Varian was running, his foot soon enough stomped on a slippery surface that cracked very easily. Varian was pulled under quickly.

Word Count: 511

Sorry that this chapter is so short! I'm really tired rn and I have to get to bed. I hope you guys liked this chapter 😅