11. Christmas

I know that it's Spring rn lol. The beginning of this book takes place during the Winter, so back when I started writing this, I added a Christmas chapter. On my Google Doc, this is the last part that I had written, so from now on It'll take a bit longer to post chapters (maybe). I hope you enjoy!

Several weeks had passed and it was the day before Christmas. Thankfully, Varian had overcome his illness and was up and about again like before. After explaining the situation to Quirin, he pleaded with Emma and Varian to stay in his line of vision when playing outside, which made annoyed Varian.

Since Christmas was coming in less than a day, Emma desperately wanted to figure out how to show Varian that she appreciated him.

"Oh, Mercury, what am I going to do?" Emma sighed as she stroked Mercury's soft fur. "There's so much I can give Varian, but I'm just not sure what would pass as the perfect gift…"

Mercury only mewed in response.

"I'll go shopping today and search every shop," Emma declared. "I'll need some help first…" Suddenly, an idea hit her. "And I know just who to ask!"

Time Skip

"Varian, I'm going shopping!" Emma announced. "I'll be back soon!" Varian poked his head around the corner of the kitchen.

"Do you need any help?" Varian asked eagerly.

"Uh, I'll be fine," Emma said nervously. "Don't worry about it."

Varian's eyebrows furrowed. "Oh, ok. I'll see you later, then!"

"See you later!" Emma beamed. She shut the front door and let out a sigh. My cover was almost blown!

"Emsy, are you ready to go?" Cassandra asked.

"Cass, Raps, you're here!" Emma cheered. "Let's get going! I'm ready."

As the three were strolling through Old Corona, Rapunzel kept asking Emma about Varian, while Cassandra led them to each of the shops responsibly. They were about to visit Uncle Monty's candy shop, but they thought better of it.

Time Skip

After hours of searching, Cassandra asked Emma, "How long is it going to take for you to pick out something?"

Emma examined a snake plushie, then set it back on the shelf. "I'm sorry! Varian's gift has to be perfect. He has to know that he means a lot to me." She picked up another item from the shelf before putting it back.

"Doesn't he already know?" Rapunzel wondered. "You don't have to buy him anything. Just tell him yourself."

Suddenly, Emma spotted something that caught her eye. She scooped it up in her arms and hugged it tight. "This is perfect!" Emma squealed.

Time Skip

Later that night, Emma was in Varian's room putting last minute touches on her gift for Varian when she heard a knock on the door. She jumped which caused some of her items to spill.

"Em, can I come in?" Varian's voice asked from the other side of the door.

"Uh, s-sure! Just give me a minute please," Emma panicked as she frantically gathered her things and hid them under her blanket. Varian opened the door slowly.

"My dad said it was time to go to bed," Varian explained. He sat down on his bed and slid under his blanket. "Good night and Merry Christmas, Emma!"

"Merry Christmas!" Emma replied as she got ready to sleep herself. She couldn't wait for tomorrow.

Time Skip

"Emma, Emma! Wake up!"

Emma could hear Varian's cheerful voice bounce excitedly as she tried to fall back asleep.