05. Taking Emma In

The song above is used towards the end of the chapter. Feel free to listen to it when you reach that point in the story 😄

Bright sunlight made Emma stir in her sleep. As she tried to reposition herself, she heard quick footsteps approaching.

"Emma, omigosh! Emma!" a familiar voice cried.

Emma could feel her body being lifted off of the ground and suddenly having access to warmth.

"E-Emma, w-wake up! Please, wake up," the voice whimpered. "You're as cold as ice! I gotta get you warm..."

Emma's eyelids fluttered open. It took a second for her vision to adjust to the sunlight, but she was able to see that Varian was holding her.

"Varian?... What are you doing here?"

Varian gasped. "Emma, you're ok! I was just passing by when I saw you laying here in the alleyway. Anyway, what are you doing here? You should be home with your parents, warm and cozy. That wasn't safe at all to sleep out here in the snow." He took off his jacket, carried Emma bridal-style, and placed his jacket on top of Emma to keep her warm. "I'm going to take you to my house. Then, you'll have to explain everything."

Time Skip

"Em, what the heck were you doing out there?" Varian asked. He was preparing a hot drink for Emma in the kitchen.

"My dad hit me, so I wanted to run away," Emma explained guiltily. "I-I didn't want to bother anyone, so I slept outside... in the snow." Varian handed Emma a cup of warm cocoa. He sat down in a chair in front of her. He couldn't bear to look her in the eye.

"I... I was really scared when I saw you laying there in the snow. I thought you could've been..." Varian stopped himself from finishing, but Emma knew what he had meant. "You told me that you could handle your parents, but it's clear that you lied. I could've helped you with that, you know? Please don't scare me like that again."

"I promise I won't do it again," Emma said meaningfully. "I'm really sorry. I didn't think you would know about it." Her eyes watered up and she sniffled sadly.

That's when Varian couldn't take it anymore. He scooted his chair closer to Emma and embraced her genuinely.

"Don't cry, Emma. Even though it's embarrassing to admit, seeing you cry makes me want to cry too."

Emma laughed a little. "Ok, V."

After they broke away from their hug, Varian asked, "Do you wanna hang out in my room?" Emma nodded and Varian led her there.

When they arrived, Mercury and Ruddiger greeted the two affectionately.

"Aww, it's nice how Mercury and Ruddiger are getting along," Emma gushed.

Varian smiled. "Mhm! They got to know each other overnight and now they're inseparable." Varian led Emma to his bed and they both sat down.

"Hey, I was wondering if you could stay here for a while," Varian offered. "I just think that you and your parents need some space. It might be safer for you if you stayed here with me and my dad."

"I guess you're right, V. I'll think about it," Emma smiled.

"I'll go get a blanket for you," Varian said. He stood up and left the room. Mercury leaped onto the bed and cuddled close to Emma and purred.

"Do you enjoy living here, Mercury?" Emma questioned the kitten. She stroked Mercury's fur and continued talking very softly. "Varian has a good heart. He's also very smart, kind, gentle, understanding, sweet, and thoughtful. No wonder you enjoy his company! I bet you love him just as much as I do..."

"I'm back~!" Varian sang as he burst through the door. Emma jumped, hoping that he didn't hear anything that she had just told Mercury. "Who were you talking to?"

"Ah, uh, Mercury," Emma stuttered. "Did you... hear anything that I said?"

"Uh... no. No, I didn't," Varian answered. He was confused. "It wasn't anything bad, was it?"

"Oh, no, no! Of course not," Emma assured. "Never mind..."

Varian handed a blanket to Emma. "I checked in with my dad about you staying," he said. "He said it was alright with him. You can stay for as long as you need to."

"Really? Thank you," Emma looked down at her feet. She was embarrassed that Varian was taking her in. It made her feel like a burden because Quirin had another mouth to feed and another child to take care of. The guilt was overwhelming!

"Oh, and, Em? You'll never be a burden on me or my dad," Varian added with a small smile on his face. "There's nothing to worry about. We'll keep you safe. Make no doubt about it, ok?"

Emma smiled wide and brightly. "I know you will, V. I trust you with my life."

Time Skip

Later that night, Quirin told Emma that she could sleep anywhere except for Varian's bed, which Emma didn't argue against.

"I'll just sleep on the floor in Varian's room," Emma suggested.

As soon as Quirin, Varian, and Emma helped set everything up, Quirin said, "Goodnight," and left the room. Emma snuggled with Mercury and Varian did the same with Ruddiger. It went silent for a while and Emma was having trouble falling asleep.

"Hey, V?"

"What's up?"

"I can't fall asleep."

"I can't either."

"Can you... maybe sing a song?"

"I-I'm not very good, but I'll try." (You can play the song now 🙂)

Varian took a deep breath and began to sing softly:

Sooner or later,
So well acquainted.

See this routine here looks a bit tainted.

But now together,
Never apart.

Out in this open,
Our dreams seem so fainted.

Maybe with patience,
Something in-between.

Sooner or later,
My friend.

Found us out here somewhere,
Out in the stars.

Maybe if we're quiet,
We'll hear all our thoughts.

How perfect if hearts align,
Intensions will cross.

Sooner or later,
This moment in question.

Brave but uncertain,
Us together now.

Never apart,
Sooner or later,
My friend.~

"Wow... that was beautiful, Varian," Emma whispered.

"O-oh, thank you." Without having to look at him, Emma could tell that Varian was blushing. "I never thought that I was that good at singing. It's nice to know that someone thinks otherwise."

"I think that song did the trick," Emma added. "I feel tired now. Thank you so much." She yawned and got herself comfortable under her blanket.

"I'm glad I could help," Varian chuckled. "Goodnight, Em!"

"Goodnight, V!" A heavy, sleepy feeling overcame Emma and she fell into a deep sleep.

Word Count: 1107

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter 😄