Meeting Fate Face to Face

The Switch

Chapter 2

The day of the ball you found yourself in your mother's salon, you had had a large breakfast with your mother and sisters. But when it became noon, they all stopped eating in an effort to squeeze into their dresses. Except for you. You were allowed to indulge in a light lunch and tea to keep your strength up. And swallow down your medicine to make you more comfortable and to make you appear glowing and healthy. The medicine worked wonders as in just a few moments after taking it, you felt like you had the energy of a small child, wanting to practically bound down the hallways. And while the medicine did work wonders in the moment, when it wore off, you looked and felt even worse than before you took it. So you would only be using it when you absolutely needed to and right now it was only half an hour before your guests would be arriving and this large dose would and should last for the rest of the evening.

Your mother was fretting over every single hair on Millie's head to make sure that not a single one got out of place. Milli looked prettier than a picture and like a proper princess with a tiara and everything. She had every accessory and every flourish possible from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. Even when she had been presented at the Queen's Court only a couple of month's prior she had not been this embellished. Even though her shoes would barely be seen, even they- were the height of fashion. And when they would peek out under her dress, even they would glitter and glow because of the jewels sewn into the very fine silk and trimmed with fur. The shoes alone were a work of art. Milli had gotten over a dozen new pairs, their delicate heels and arches making her feet look small, delicate, refined and sophisticated. Meanwhile your own shoes were still beautiful, but they were built with comfort in mind and had wonderful cushion in the soles from sea sponges so that it felt like you were walking on pillows.

Meanwhile you were just grateful your new half corset to just keep your breasts up and pressed high and accentuated your ample cleavage but the cut of your dress made your waistband higher to hide the fact that you weren't wearing a full corset. The half corset itself wasn't hurting you and you did like the way your new dress looked on you as you liked the higher waistline even if it was of later fashion. It made your legs look longer and your bosom look larger while only subtly hinting at a pinch of a waist. It was dignified, distinguished, yet discretely lavish and magnificent in it's own way.

Where your sister Millie wore bright gold on shiny silks and satins and brocades and glittered and glowed, with heavy embroidery. And even little jewels sewn into the fabrics so that she was glittering in any and every light. But you, while you had details of gold threaded trim and lace and shimmer and sheen, you chose a more flattering color for your complexion and one that brought out your eyes. Only when one looked closely could they see the thoughtful and luxurious yet delicate touches. The deep pockets that could hold a volume sized book, the fine embroidery touches here and there, the softest lace against your skin and that every time you moved, you could feel the softness of the fabric against your skin and you liked the way it swished and whispered when you walked.

But you couldn't help but feel anxious. What if Young Count Lavine would take one look at Milli and dismiss her just as quickly as he did you? At this point, Young Baron Salgria had still not given you any other letters. But his mother and his sisters had. And so in light of this, you had immediately struck up an easy friendship with them which was paramount for your own success with the Salgrias as a whole. Because right now, you didn't care if the Young Baron liked you or not. As long as he would not abuse you or find about this ruse and feel cheated. And as long as he treated you pleasantly, you would die happy as you looked in the mirror and wondered if this was the best you were ever going to look.