Vincent and the Doctor

A/N: This chapter is one of my favourites but also one I find the saddest. Fair warning this chapter is going to be sad. This is also the longest chapter I have written for this book so far, nearly 8000 words.

Robyn holds the Doctor's hand as they walk round the Musee D'Orsay in France, looking at the Van Gogh exhibition "Thanks for bringing me

Robyn holds the Doctor's hand as they walk round the Musee D'Orsay in France, looking at the Van Gogh exhibition "Thanks for bringing me." Amy tells the Doctor. "You're welcome." he tells her. "You're being so nice to me. Why are you being so nice to me?" Amy asks as Robyn looks at one of the paintings. "I'm always nice to you." the Doctor tells Amy. "Not like this. These places you're taking me: Arcadia, the Trojan Gardens, now this. I think it's suspicious." Amy responds. "Well, it's not. There's nothing to be suspicious about." the Doctor tells her. "Okay, I was joking. Why aren't you?" Amy asks. The Doctor doesn't respond as he picks Robyn up, Robyn smiles at him slightly before looking at the paintings again "Each of these pictures now is worth tens of millions of pounds. Yet in his lifetime, he was a commercial disaster. Sold only one painting, and that to the sister of a friend. We have here possibly the greatest artist of all time, but when he died, you could sold his entire body of work and got about enough money to buy a sofa and a couple of chairs. If you follow me now..." a man tells a group of people, leading them round the room. "Who is it?" a boy asks. "It's the doctor!" a different boy explains making the Doctor turn to see two boys looking at the painting of Van Gogh's physician "He was the doctor who took care of Van Gogh when he started to go mad." the boy continues. "I knew that." the first one retorts.

Amy grabs the Doctor by the arm and pulls him towards 'The Church at Auvers', she holds up her guidebook which is on the page about the painting "Look! There it is, the actual one." she smiles. "Yes. You can almost feel his hand painting it right in front of you. Carving the colours into shapes... Wait a minute." the Doctor frowns looking at the painting. "What?" Amy asks. "Well, just look at that." the Doctor remarks. "What?" Amy repeats. "Something very not good indeed." the Doctor continues as Robyn looks at the painting, realising what the Doctor has spotted. "What thing very not good?" Amy asks. "Look there, in the window of the church." Robyn says looking at the painting. "A dark figure has been painted in one of the church windows." the Doctor tells Amy. "Is it a face?" Amy asks. "Yes. And not a nice face at all. I know evil when I see it and I see it in that window." he responds before turning and walking over to the main, who is still talking to the group "Excuse me, if I can just interrupt for one second. Sorry, everyone. Routine inspection, Ministry of Art and... Artiness. So, um..." he starts, showing his psychic paper. "Dr Black." the man tells him. "Yes, that's right. Do you know when that picture of the church was painted?" the Doctor asks, pointing at the painting. "Ah, what an interesting question. Most people..." Dr Black starts. "I'm going to have to hurry you. When was it?" the Doctor interrupts. "Exactly?" Dr Black asks. "As exactly as you can. Without a long speech, if poss. I'm in a hurry." the Doctor explains. "Well, in that case, probably somewhere between the 1st and 3rd of June." Dr Black responds. "What year?" the Doctor asks. "1890. Less than a year before he killed himself." Dr Black tells him. "Thank you, sir. Very helpful indeed. Nice bow-tie. Bow-ties are cool." the Doctor smiles, looking at Amy as Robyn smiles. "Yours is very..." Dr Black starts. "Oh, thank you. Keep telling them stuff." the Doctor smiles, grabbing Amy and pulling her through the exhibit "We need to go." he tells her. "What about the other pictures?" Amy asks. "Art can wait. This is life and death. We need to talk to Vincent Van Gogh." the Doctor tells her, giving her a small shove. Robyn smiles "What?" he asks. "We're meeting Vincent Van Gogh." she smiles making the Doctor nod and smile back.