The Doctor Dances

The Doctor stares around at the Gas Mask people. "Go to your room." he tells them as if they're naughty children. "Go to your room!" he repeats. "I mean it! I am very, very angry with you. I am very, very cross! Go... to... your... ROOM!" he points violently in no particular direction, all the Gas Mask people turn meekly away and climb back onto their beds. Robyn looks round confused as the Doctor sighs with relief "I'm really glad that worked. Those would've been terrible last words." he tells the others.

Jack settles down in a chair with Robyn on his lap. Rose looks at the people "Why are they all wearing gas masks?" she asks. "They're not. Those masks are flesh and bone." Jack tells her. "How was your con supposed to work?" the Doctor asks. "Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space junk... let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth. Convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put 50% up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for. Never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self cleaning con." Jack explains playing with his daughter's hair. "Yeah. Perfect." the Doctor tells him sarcastically. "The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners, Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day." He laughs at his own joke as the Doctor looks at him.

Jack's laughter dies away "Getting a hint of disapproval." he says. "Take a look around the room. This is what your "harmless piece of space-junk" did." the Doctor glares." It was a burnt-out medical transporter, it was empty."Jack retorts as Robyn wiggles slightly. The Doctor looks darkly at him and walks off.

"Rose." he calls. "We getting out of here?" she asks. "We're going upstairs." he responds. Rose follows him as Jack gets up and calls after him. "I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living, I harmed no-one! I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it." Jack explains as Robyn puts her arms round his neck. "I'll tell you what's happening. You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day." the Doctor tells him. A siren goes off in the distance "What's that?" Rose asks. "The all-clear." Jack explains. "I wish." the Doctor comments as he leaves the ward. Rose, and Jack follow him, Robyn in her dad's arms.

They run down a corridor looking for the Doctor. "Doctor?" Rose calls out. They dash past a flight of stairs and the Doctor pops his head around the banister "Have you got a blaster?" he asks. They skid to a halt and backtrack "Sure!" Jack smiles. They run up the stairs and stand outside a door. "The night your space-junk landed, someone was hurt. This was where they were taken." the Doctor explains. "What happened?" Rose asks. "Let's find out. Get it open." the Doctor tells Jack who grins putting Robyn down and points the blaster at the door. Jack's blaster cuts a perfectly square hole around the lock of the door and it squeaks open.

"Sonic blaster, 51st century. Weapon Factories of Villengard?" the Doctor asks. "You've been to the factories?" Jack questions. "Once." the Doctor says taking the blaster and having a look at it. "Well, they gone now. Destroyed. The main reactor went critical. Vapourized the lot." Jack explains. The Doctor gives the blaster back "Like I said, once. There's a banana grove there, now. I like bananas. Bananas are good." He smiles pleasantly at Jack and enters the room. Robyn giggles slightly as Rose walks over to Jack, who picks Robyn back up. "Nice blast pattern." she compliments. "Digital." Jack tells her. "Squareness gun." Robyn whispers. "Yeah." Jack smiles as Rose chuckles. "I like it." Rose says as she goes into the room. Jack laughs, then follows her with Robyn in his arms.

The Doctor switches a light on as they enter the room, which looks as though it has been vandalised. The window is broken and there is stuff all over the floor. "What d'you think?" the Doctor asks. "Something got out of here..." Jack starts as he puts Robyn down. "Yeah. And?" the Doctor asks. "Something powerful. Angry." Jack finishes. "Powerful and angry." the Doctor tells them. Jack enters a room off the side with Robyn holding his hand. The floor and walls are covered with drawings done by a child, there are a few toys on the floor and a little bed in the corner. "A child? I suppose this explains
mummy." Jack says. "How could a child do this?" Rose asks.