[Chapter 20]

He may have shivered if he wasn't wearing so many layers. There was a bitter crisp to the air, with a sweeping breeze that carried through the leaves of surrounding trees. It created a rustling whisper, that could only be heard now he was far enough from the pounding music of the party.

He didn't know what to say, so he just followed the blonde for who knows how long. All he could think about was the words on the tip of his tounge, that he just couldn't get out. 

"You don't have to follow me Sunoo." 

He froze as Sunghoon turned to face him. The boy seemed frustrated, yet overwhelmingly depleted. Almost like he was exhausted. 

"How did you know it was me?" 

"You're really that surprised? Of course I know it's you." Sunghoon scoffed depressingly.

Sunoo could sense the problem, it was the same as before. One thing was affecting Sunghoon, one thing was making him act this way. So what was it? What could have such a hold over Sunghoon? He's his best friend, if anyone should know, it should be him. Maybe he was too focused on his own dramas, and it was time to put that focus on his friend again.

"I overheard you and Heeseung. Are you fighting? Is that why you've been acting strange?" He asked with sincerity. 

Sunghoon took in a deep breath, and broke their eye contact. "Not entirely, but we were fighting back there. We were fighting about you actually." 

"About me?" His heart rate increased dramatically. "What's going on?"

"He's not your secret admirer Sunoo."

And just like that, everything Sunoo thought he knew had fallen apart.

"But how...everything points to him, and he said-" Thinking about it further, had he even got a confession from Heeseung? He took those words and ran with them, even though they didn't confirm anything at all. "It must be Gaeul then, I know she doesn't like guys, but it was her writing..."

His heart was racing, and his thoughts were all over the place. He just couldn't piece it together, nothing made sense anymore. 

"Sunoo, I'm sorry for making you so confused."

He didn't step back when Sunghoon came closer, he didn't flinch when Sunghoon placed his hand on his cheek, he didn't move when Sunghoon leaned in, because he didn't expect what was going to happen next.

Sunghoon kissed him.

It only lasted a second, but it made a big impact.

"It's me, I'm the secret admirer."

It's like time stopped, and Sunoo's mind went empty for the first time in his life. He didn't know what to think, he didn't know what to feel. He got his answer, however, it was completely different to what he imagined.

"Please say something."

What was he supposed to say? 

"I-" Why did you do this? "I-" How many people know?  "I-" Do you like me? "I have to go."

His mind went blank, so all he could go off of was his rapidly beating heart. He needed to get out of there. This was too much to think about now.

He blocked out everything Sunghoon was saying, turned around, and sprinted down the street. Yes, this wasn't the way to solve his problems, but what was he supposed to do? He couldn't see a solution, so he just had to go.

Finding out your best friend is your secret admirer, and getting kissed by them in the same night. This was like one of those high school dramas, not the fairy tale Sunoo had dreamed of. It's not that he was mad, he just needed time to think it all over.

____

The rain didn't start long ago, but Sunoo was already drenched. So caught up in his own thoughts, that he had no care to find shelter. He wasn't even paying attention to where he was going, aimlessly wandering the streets of his city. 

Bright lights of cars flickered as they passed him, but when one pulled up beside the boy, he paid no attention to it.

"Sunoo! That is you!" It was a familiar voice, yet one he didn't hear that often. It was enough to catch his attention. He turned towards the rolled down window, spotting Jake's aunt in the front seat. "It's a bit late to be out, don't you think? And it's not really the nicest weather for a stroll."

"I was just heading home." This woman was very bad at reading the room, it's like she didn't pick up Sunoo's mood at all.

"How about we give you a lift? Get in!" 

We? Sunoo glanced around the woman, noticing she wasn't actually alone. Jake was in the passenger seat, headphones in, and eyes closed. Not surprising.

"It's fine, really."

"Oh don't be silly." She turned to her nephew, nudging him out of his peace. He jolted his eyes open with a confused expression. "Go get Sunoo!" His eyes widened at the command, before his aunty leaned across, unbuckled his seat belt, opened his car door, and kicked him into the street.

As he fell to the floor, a car nearly hit him, having to swerve to miss the boy. He screamed a little, and jumped to his feet, attempting to wipe off the gross street water that now coated his clothes.

"You're crazy woman!" He shouted, shaking his head as he walked around the car. 

It was a split second reaction, as soon as he saw Sunoo, he could tell something was wrong. Immediately running up to him, and engulfing him in a hug.

"What happened?! Are you okay?!" Jake asked frantically.

Sunoo couldn't speak, instead nuzzling his face into Jake's chest further, and tightening his arms around the boy.

"It'll be okay Sunoo, I promise. I'm here."