1

2019

In the words of Kobe Bryant, "A lot of people say they want to be great, but they're not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve greatness. Instead, they have other concerns, whether important or not, and spread themselves out. That's fine. After all, greatness is not for everybody."

I believed in anything Kobe said growing up, the mamba mentality. I had nothing to look forward to growing up because I came from nothing. My mom was broke and it was just me and her for my entire childhood. I had no idea who my father was. Shit, I would've at least appreciated seeing the guy before he went for milk and never came back.

I needed a scapegoat if I was going to get through school. I hated it, but mom had like three jobs just to keep that studio in Miami we had growing up. So I turned to basketball in elementary school when Kobe was on another level, then middle school when Wade was going all the way with the Miami Heat and Shaq. It was amazing to watch the city come alive even if I still felt alone in that huge crowd. It was at that moment, in the middle of the city  I grew up in, that I was so familiar with, but it wasn't at all familiar at me. I decided then, I'd make all them know my name.

I didn't worry if I'd be too short. I just had to dedicate everything I had to the game. Hard work pays off. I had nothing to lose. Even if I'd end up in no college, or drafted. I'd show my value through hard work and a lack of distractions. So it begins.

Basketball becomes everything to me: my first love, my way out of the streets of miami as a nobody.

I always got to practice first, and I always was the last one to leave. I played against players with more talent than me, but they all had less work ethic and drive. I outperformed them every time. Playing hard has nothing to do with size, strength, or speed. Nor your ability to shoot, pass or dribble. Playing hard is about effort and not taking lazy shortcuts or making excuses. It didn't matter if I had to play Basketball in a community college instead of being recruited. I was the best player on the floor every night, and it's because of that mentality that I can possibly finally play for the NBA.

I did go Un-drafted after only one year of college, but thankfully the Raptors in Toronto signed me for a two-way contract. It was better than nothing—a beginning to a bright future. I still remember the first NBA game I got to step on the court and play on it. That game replays in my head often but, I don't know if it's imprinted in my mind because it was my first time playing on a court my idols once did, or because I met the girl who became my first ever distraction from Basketball.

November 12, 2019.

We were in Los Angeles playing against the Clippers, and a starter got injured the game before this one, so minutes opened up. I always tried to keep a positive attitude about not playing and riding the bench. I kept working and acted like a good teammate, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't fucking tired of not playing. It was hard not getting a chance to prove to everyone else I belonged in this game, and that night, I made sure to do just that. The only thing that still haunts me today is whether I played well because my hard work finally paid off, or if I played great because she was watching.

Now, before I say who and give more context to this story, I must advise you I'm the opposite of someone you want to love. My dedication to Basketball came first. Women weren't anything but a distraction to me. I put blood, sweat, and tears into my career. I wouldn't risk losing my shot because of love. Basketball was already my first love. It was all I needed in my life.

At least, that's what I believed before meeting her.

*flashback*

"Rookie!" the coach yelled down the bench