Chapter 3

"Maggie-"

"It's nothing! It's-it's nothing." Maggie said.

All the Greene's heading back to the house.

"We've been out here combing these woods looking for that little girl-"

"Leave us alone!" Maggie said, glaring to him.

"You shouldn't be out here, you need the rest." Maggie said to me, holding me up.

"I heard shoutin' and then I saw them folk carrying guns and runnin'. Thought something was going on, guess I was right." I say the last bit quietly.

Maggie said nothing.

"I can walk Maggie." I say.

"Shane give it a rest man."

"Get your hands off me!"

"I--" Hershel tried to say but nothing came to mind.

"You knew and kept it from us!" Shane yelled.

"I didn't know!" Hershel said.

"That's bullshit! I think you all knew!" Shane said.

"We didn't know okay!" Maggie yelled.

"Why was there-!"

"Enough! Now I understand that y'all upset, but understand this, arguing about it ain't gonna do nothing! It won't bring her back, it won't change what happened." I say this Shane guy turned to me and glared, very harshly.

"And who the hell are you, popping out of no where! Huh? You got no say in this matter." Shane said.

"I do get a say if your gonna be violent." I say standing in front of him.

"Otis put those people in the barn. Maybe he did before he died." Hershel spoke up.

Shane looks to them when Hershel spoke back up. Looking back to Maggie and the others.

"You expect me to believe that? Do you think I look like an idiot?" Shane said.

A guy comes in front of him holding Shane back from doing anything stupid.

There was so much yelling on both parts, till Maggie left my side and slapped Shane when he got a little to close.

Maggie went back to my side.

"I mean it off my land." Hershel said to them.

She took me inside, and set me on the couch, not the room.

"Your probably bored all the time in the same room." Maggie said.

"Kind of, yea." I say.

Maggie nodded.

"Thank you, for coming to our defense, even though its not..." Maggie said.

"It t'was the least I could do. Y'all took me in, and helped me out. I don't know the story but...well people handle things differently. And...well that's about all I could think of to say." I say.

Maggie smiles softly, nodding her head.
She looks to the door seeing Glen walk in, obviously something on his mind.

"I have to know, did you know that she was in the barn?" Glen asked.

Maggie stepped closer to him.

"No." She said.

I just sort of sat there, a bit uncomfortable with being the third wheel.

'Maybe now I can slip away?' I think.

I looked down to my leg, as they talked to each other.

'I gotta check on Charter anyways, it's been a bit since I seen him. I always go to him, sick, tired, upset. So not going to him makes it seem like something horrible has happened to me.'