Chapter Six

Any second now, Romilly will knock on my door. I can’t wait to see her. Back in high school, Romilly, Jackson and I were inseparable. I’m sad that Jackson can’t make it. It would have been so great to have him here today.

Mmm, I still remember in high school, Jackson wasn’t ready to tell the world that he was gay. He was scared to tell his parents. To help him out, I pretended to be his girlfriend so no one would suspect anything.

Today, he lives with his boyfriend. I like Peter. He’s good for him.

I jump excitedly, hearing the doorbell ring. I walk fast to open the door. I know it’s Romy at my door, so I don’t look through the peephole. “Hey Rom …” I put my hands on my mouth. “Jackson!” I nearly scream as I jump in his arms.

He laughs. “Hey, sugar. I missed you.”

“I missed you too, Jacky boy.” I leave a peck on his lips.

It doesn’t mean anything. It’s like a hello kiss.

He puts me down and I go to hug Romilly. “Why did you tell me that he couldn’t make it when I asked you?”

“We wanted to surprise you.” Romilly hugs me. “I missed you.”

I smile. “I missed you too.”

“Fuck!” Jackson whispers, looking at the other side of the hallway.

Romy and I turn around to look where Jackson is staring. “Who’s that?” Romilly asks beside me.

I roll my eyes annoyingly, folding my arms in front of me. “Owen Blake, my new neighbour.”

As if he hears me saying his name, he turns his attention to us. “Hey.” Romilly waves her hand at him.

He stares at us without saying a word before he steps inside his apartment.

“Charmer that one,” Jackson adds.

I snort. “You don’t know the half of it.”

As we enter my apartment, Romilly walks straight to the bathroom.

“So how’s Peter?” I ask Jackson.

His smiles go up to his ears. “He’s great. He sends his hello.”

I take his hand. “I’m so happy for you. You deserve all the happiness in this world.”

After he told his parents that he was gay, they kick him out f the house. Well, his father did. His mother didn’t say anything to stop him. After that, my parents took him in to live with us. I love him like a brother, but it wasn’t always the case.

I fell in love with him. Over time my feelings changed because I knew he would never have a chance with him. I revealed to him how I felt. I was so scared to lose his friends after that, but he never gave up on me. I’m happy that’s all behind us now.

“Sorry about that. I had an emergency.” Romilly says after she joins us.

Jackson rolls his eyes. “I told you to go to the bathroom on the way here. You just didn’t listen to me.”

“Shut up, Jackson.”

I let out a laugh, hearing those two. It’s so good to see them. I missed my friends.

It didn’t take long for them to join me in laughing.

“So, how's it going with Elliot?” Romy asks me.

Here’s the question I wanted to avoid.

Romy never truly liked Elliot. She always told me that something was off with him. She could never put her finger on the matter. Wait until I tell her the truth.

“Before I answer that, let me grab the red wine. We are drinking on the roof.”

I only take red wine when something bothers me. They will know that something is going on. They both follow me to the roof without saying a word.

Once we are seated, Romy turns to me. “What did he do?”

I take a long sip of my wine. “He cheated on me.”

Romilly slaps her thigh. “I knew he was a scumbag.”

She did warn me at the beginning that she didn’t like him even if she only saw him twice.

Jackson has a frown on his forehead. “What happened?”

I clear my throat. “He slept around with one of his coworkers.

Romilly takes a sip of her wine. “What will I give to kick him in the balls.”

“Get in line.” Jackson grunts.

“How did you find out?” Romilly looks at me with concern.

I let out a sigh. “We were out on a date that was supposed to happen the day before. He had to work on that day. He told me that he had an emergency at work. It was all false. He was screwing with her while I was at home believing in his lie. As I said, we were on a date. At some point, I went to the bathroom. When I came back, a woman was sitting in my seat. I asked her who she was. She told me and I quote, I'm the woman who slept with him, yesterday, and the day before.” I shake my head. “Can you believe it?”

“What a bitch!” Romilly lets out.

I snort. “Tell me about it.”

Jackson takes my hand. “How are you doing?”

I shrug. “Better than I expected. I loved him, but I wasn’t in love with him. It only hurt about his betrayal.”

Jackson smiles at me. “You better without him.”

I can’t say it better myself.

Romy smirks at me.

Oh, no! What does she have in mind? I wonder to myself.

“I’m more interested in your new neighbour. He’s freaking hot. Don’t you think so?” She smiles now.

“No!” I say rapidly. “Where did you get that idea?”

Jackson points at me. “Taylor, sweety, your cheeks are all red. I think, nope, I know that Romy has a point here. Stop lying to yourself. You have a thing for your neighbour,”

“Yea! Yea!” Romilly nods her head. “Say it! Say it!”

“No, I don’t…”

I don’t have a chance to finish my sentence. Jackson interrupts. “You can lie to us, but don’t lie to yourself.” He winks at me.

I look up at the sky. “Okay. Okay. Owen is freaking hot. Happy now?”

I stare back at them and the way they are looking at me, something is off. No, they don’t look at me, they look at something else.

No!

I gasp. “Please tell me that he’s not behind me.”

Please no.

“I’m not behind you, buttercup.” I hear Owen’s voice.

Kill me now!

Vote & Comment