Chapter Tirty-One

I’m under the sun at the beach, wearing a teal white bikini and a pair of blue jean shorts. I usually don’t expose this much of my body, but I’m at the beach, so I’m making an exception.

Romilly and Jackson made a surprise visit. We decided to come here. I’m so glad because this time, Peter could make it.

“So when are Owen and his friend, Dean, supposed to meet us here?” Jackson asks me.

I look through the crowd. “Any minute now.”

“Are you okay, Romilly?” Peter wonders. “You seem flushed all of a sudden.”

I turn my attention to her as she lets out a snort. “I’m fine. I don’t know what you are talking about.”

Peter may buy her lies, but Jackson and I know better. We can see through her when she’s lying.

I wonder why?

I lift my eyebrows as I remember something. The last time Romy was in town, she met with Dean. I could tell that she was attracted to him. She admitted she found him handsome.

I admit he is handsome. I won’t say it out loud, or I won’t hear the end of it. Owen won’t appreciate that little fact. That’s for sure.

I want to tease my friend, but I won’t.

Instead, I concentrate on the crow again. My smile goes up to my ear as I see my man walking toward us while Dean is at his side.

I don’t hesitate and run toward him. I jump in Owen’s arms, and he catches me immediately.

My man is sexy as hell.

Owen warps a hand behind my head, kissing me with such hunger that I have to retrain myself so I won’t let out a moan.

“Get a room, you two,” Dean complains jokingly.

“That’s a good idea.” Owen licks his lips. “I’ll consider it for later.”

I let out a squeal as Owen pinch my ass.

“Owen!” I try to sound irritated, but I fail miserably.

I shouldn’t be surprised by his gesture. This is Owen Blake we are talking about.

Dean rolls his eyes as he walks ahead. After three steps, he stops as he looks ahead. “Tell me, doll. Is this the same friend with you a couple of weeks ago when you were looking for that fucker beside me?” He asks me as Owen lets go of me.

Owen strikes one’s elbow against Dean’s ribs to warn him. “Don’t call my woman doll. Find one of your own to call her whatever you want.”

“I guess I just did,” Dean replies.

I frown as I look where his eyes land. “Yes,” I answer his question. “She’s my best friend, Romilly.”

“Romilly, mmhmm, I like her name,” Dean smirks.

“Look here, mister. My friend isn’t someone you play your little game with.” I jab a finger at his chest. “Got it?”

Dean raises his hands in defense. “Don’t tell me Owen’s character is rubbing off on you.”

Owen slaps the back of Dean’s head.

“Ouch! Easy man! Don’t jeopardize the merchandise.” Dean adjusts his men’s tank top.

The last comment made him deserve a second slap.

I take Owen’s hand as I lead them toward my friends. It’s time for him to meet them. I narrow my eyes at Dean to give him a last warning.

He salutes me. “Yes, ma’am.”

I roll my eyes, shaking my head.

Before we reach the others, I stop my movements and turn my attention to Owen. “I want to thank you for today.”

Owen cups my cheeks with his strong hands. “The day isn’t over. I’m sure I will find a way to annoy you.” He jokes, of course.

“I chuckle. “No, silly. Thank you for giving me today so you could meet my friends.”

He brushes his lips to my forehead. “You are most welcome, buttercup.”

As we walk, I see that every woman on the beach has their eyes set on Owen. I wrap my arm around Owens to claim what’s mine.

Owen shakes his head, removing his arm from my hold. For a second, I think I went too far with my gesture. I sigh with relief as Owen wraps his arm around my shoulders, bringing me closer to him.

We came so far, him and me. The first time I met him, he was so annoyed by me. Then came the time we couldn’t keep our hands on each other. Neither of us was ready to be in a serious relationship. Today he’s meeting my friends.

Okay, it’s not the first time he will meet them. He already did. Last time it didn’t count. He wasn’t my boyfriend back then.

Boyfriend.

It’s weird to call him that. Owen isn’t the kind of guy to be called a boyfriend. I usually call him my man or the other I use the most, stupid.

“Hey, guys. So except for Peter, everyone else already met Owen.” I try not to sound nervous.

Peter shows his hand for Owen to shake. For a moment there, I think he won’t.

I sigh with relief as he acknowledges Peter by shaking his hand.

I worry too much.

“Everyone, this is Dean.” I turn my head to him. “You already met Romilly. This is Jackson and Peter.”

Dean has his eyes set on Romy. “So we meet again.” He smiles at her.

“That we do.” She walks away from him as if she isn’t impressed with what he has to offer.

I know, my friend. Even if she usually would act on it without a second thought. Romy doesn’t want to show him that she’s an easy target.

That and she lives in another town.

“Peter, what do you say we go grab some ice cream? It’s getting hot out here.” Romy asks him.

“Sure.” Peter looks at Jackson. “Do you want something, baby?”

“No, I’m good.” He leans in to capture Peter’s lips before Peter leaves with Romy.

I wonder if Owen has something against two men that love one another. If he does, it will become a problem. Jackson is my family. If Owen has a problem with this, he will have a problem with me.

“Wait up!” dean shouts. “I’m coming with you.”

I shake my head as Dean runs after them. He isn’t giving up.

I hope he knows what he’s doing.

Jackson opens the cooler to give one beer to Owen as he grabs one for himself. He sits back down to watch the view in front of him.

Owen leans down to my level. “That’s a relief.”

I frown. “What is?”

“I’m glad I know your friend’s sexual preference.” He whispers in my ear. “I was afraid I would have to watch every move he makes to ensure he didn’t want more from you than just being a friend.”

I know Owen seems to be jealous. He’s not. He’s territorial. I read something to describe his behavior.

‘Jealous is when you want something that’s not yours. Territorial is protecting what’s already yours.’

Vote & Comment