Chapter Thirty-Seven

“T, are you okay?” I hear Romy ask me on the other side of the door.

I flush the toilet. “I’m fine now.”

She doesn’t wait for me to invite her in as she steps inside Dean’s bathroom.

“Are you really sick, or is it because I surprised you when you saw me here?” She looks at me with worry.

“I see that you decided to put on some pants.” I change the subject.

She frowns. “Hey, you sure you’re okay.”

I look at Dean as he focuses on us while he stands on the other side of the door and then at her.

It’s funny. I came here to ask Dean about how Owen will react when he learns that I’m expecting. Now that I’m in his presence, I’m not sure anymore that I want to ask him.

Besides, the thing I want to know the most is how come Romy is here in Dean’s apartment.

“Pudding, would you mind giving us some alone time?”

Did she just call Dean pudding?

He walks toward her and brings her to him for a kiss. “I think we both know that nothing is pudding about me.”

Eew!

Romy folds her arms in front of her, tapping her feet on the floor.

“You mean that you’re kicking me out of my own place.”

“Uh-huh.” She insists.

“Fine, but you owe me big time.” Dean grabs her elbow to bring her inside her arms so he can kiss her ravishly.

I cover my eyes. I don’t want to see that.

Once Dean left, I couldn’t contain myself. I had to ask.

“So, how did you end up at Dean’s place?”

“Oh no, missy. We are talking about you. What’s wrong with you? You seem off for some reason.”

“Romilly.” I insist.

“Taylor.” She responds.

“Fine!” I give up. I walk and sit on one of the couches. “I’m pregnant.” I let it out.

Her eyes widen. “What?”

“Yep, and now I don’t know how to tell Owen.” I mess with my hair.

She titles her head to the side. “That’s why you came here. You thought Dean could help you.”

She knows me so well.

“I’m so happy you were here instead.” I lie on the couch, pressing my head on her lap.

“And I thought you’d be mad at me for being here without letting you know I was in town.” She plays with my hair.

“How did that happen anyway? Dean didn’t stop bugging me to give him your phone number.”

Romy exhales a smile quiet laugh. “He gave me his phone number when we were at the beach.”

I sit to look at her.

“Stop looking at me like that. Weren’t we talking about you being pregnant with Owen’s baby?”

“Uh-uh, don’t try to change the subject. Come on, girl. Spill the beans.” I insist on the matter.

She shrugs her shoulders. “There’s nothing to tell, really. I had his phone number, and I caved. I told myself I wouldn’t call him until I changed my mind.”

I arch my brows. “So what does it mean?”

Romilly coughs. “Nothing. We live in different cities, and this was a one-time thing.”

I was expecting that, so why am I disappointed?

That’s when my phone decides to ring.

My heart hammers inside my chest as Owen’s name appears on the screen.

“Who is it?” Romy asks me as she sees my reaction.

I bite my nails nervously. “It’s Owen.”

“What are you waiting for? Answer it, or else he will worry.” She suggested that I do.

I close my eyes while I take a deep breath before I answer my phone. “Hello.”

“Taylor, where are you? I called your work, and they told me you left because you weren’t feeling well. I’m at your place, but you aren’t there.”

I clear my throat to sound natural. “I’m at Dean’s place.”

“You’re where?” Owen grunts. “Why every time I’m not with you, you’re with him? I’m on my way.”

I roll my eyes at his comment. That man is so territorial when he wants to be, which is almost all the time.

“So what did he say?” Romy asks me after I hang up.

“He’s on his way.”

My heart pounds so fast. I’m so nervous.

“Am I allowed to get inside my apartment now?” Dean wonders after he opens the door.

Romily taps her chin, thinking. “I don’t know.”

He smirks at her. “So tell me, babe. What can I do so I have access to my own place?”

I make a face. “If this is some kind of code for sex. Eew!”

“As if you and Owen are better.” Dean scoffs.

Romilly slaps his chest. “Be nice.”

“I will if you stay one more night with me.”

I cover my ears with my fingers. “Trala la la la la.”

We all laughed at my childless reaction.

I’m not mad at Romy for spending time with Dean instead of me. It’s rare for us to see each other since we live in different cities. I want to spend some time with her, but I can’t. I have to put on my big girl pants as I have to tell Owen that I’m pregnant.

Besides, Romy is my best friend. We have other days to spend time together.

The front door bursts wide open as an irritated Owen steps inside. “Dean, what is my woman doing….” He stops talking as he sees my best friend standing beside me.

“Owen, you remember Romilly?” I ask him.

He looks at Romy and then at me. “The one I spoke with over the phone told me you were sick. Are you feeling better?”

I nod my head. “Yes. I’m better now.”

“Actually, I need to talk to you. Do you think we can go somewhere?”

Owen lifts my chin until our eyes meet. “You sure you’re okay?”

“Yes,” I answer. “I just need to talk to you alone.”

“Turner.”

“Blake.”

Ugh! men.

“It was nice to see you again, Romilly. Even if it was only briefly.” Owen says.

I run to my friend to hug her. She brings her arms around me. “Good luck.” She whispers so no one will hear her.

“I would hug you, but I’m afraid your man will beat me to a pulp.” Dean jokes around.

“I’m sorry to have come here without calling first.”

Dan shakes his head. Don’t be. You are always welcome here. Besides, when he screws things up, you have a place to come cry at.”

“That’s it. We’re leaving.” Owen takes my hand in his, and without another word, he walks out, dragging me with him.

Vote & Comment