Chapter Thirty

I let Mathiew down on the floor after the mention of pancakes. He’s excited about them.

“I’m sorry.” I mouth Owen as he looks at me.

Mathew takes hold of Owen’s thumb as he tries to pull him toward the kitchen.

Owen bends down to my level until his lips brush my ear. “You owe me big time. I can’t wait to collect, buttercup.”

My eyes widen, thinking the ground is going to drop away from beneath me.

How can his threat to have his way with me still affect me so much is beyond me.

The jerk chuckles as he lets Mathew pull him toward the kitchen so Owen can start making the pancakes.

Seeing Owen entertain with Mathew makes my ovaries jump all around the place. I never saw that side of him before.

Who knew that my man was good with children?

Fuck! I’m doomed.

I don’t even know if he wants children of his own. We barely know one another, and I’m already thinking about a future with Owen.

It’s crazy.

When I was with Elliot, even after a year, I never thought of a future with him. I loved my independence too much to see beyond what I had. But with Owen, it’s different. I love him.

“So, what shape do you want your pancakes in?” Owen sets his focus on Mathew.

“Triangular,” Mathew says with a big smile.

Owen arches his brows. “A challenge. I like that.”

I clear my throat. “While you do that. I’m going to set the table.” I inform Owen.

As our eyes meet, He winks at me.

I make sure the table has milk, syrup, cinnamon powder and, of course, coffee. I grab the plates and the other stuff we need.

Once everything is ready, we sit around the table, ready to eat.

“Do you want me to cut your pancakes?” I ask Mathew.

He nods his little head. “Yes, please.”

I take his plate from him and start to cut. “Do you want syrup and cinnamon?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Here you go, little guy.” I put down his plate back in front of him.

“Thank you.” His blue eyes sparkle as Mathew takes his first bite.

Mathew is a good kid and so polite. I wonder if he’s acting this way because he’s at my place and not his. Some people say that children act differently when they aren’t in their parent’s presence. I wonder if that’s the case with Mathew.

I guess I could always find out the next time I speak with Lola. Later today, it will be Harvey that will pick up Mathew once he’s done with his work.

I look at my man and the way he’s behaving with Mathew.

I know that Owen is hard around the edges. He has a wall built up all around him. I should know. I see it all the time. He doesn’t let the world see who he truly is. Recently I think he’s made an exception for me.

My eyes blink rapidly when I realize this.

“Is she your girlfriend?” Mathew’s question brings me back to the present.

I don’t know if I should laugh or not. My eyes land on Owen as I want to see his reaction.

To my surprise, Owen smirks at me. “She is.”

Mathew drinks his milk. “Did you buy her flowers? My mother’s boyfriend bought flowers for my mommy. He says he does this because he loves her.”

I put my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from laughing.

“Good for him.” Owen takes a sip of his coffee.

Don’t tell me the mighty Owen will lose against a four-year-old.

“You should do it.” Mathew insists.

I stop smiling when I see the frown on Owen’s forehead.

I remember when Elliot brought me flowers as I saw Owen’s reaction that day. He laughed and commented, “that’s what I thought.” He knew Elliot had cheated on me.

I title my head to the side. Do flowers bring bad memories for Owen?

I also remember the skank he brought to his apartment that same day.

Maybe it should be a good idea to change the subject.

I smile at Mathew. “What do you say once you’re done with your pancakes, you can pick any movie you want on Netflix.”

He wastes no time and takes his last two bites in a heartbeat.

Mathew chose to watch a movie. While he’s in front of the television, I take the dirty plates to clean them.

Owen stands in front of me with his arms folded. “I’m sorry to leave you like this, but I must go.”

I put my hand on his muscular biceps. “I’m not the kind of girl who expects to receive flowers.”

He let out a sigh, shaking his head. Owen looks at Mathew to ensure he’s always distracted from his movie.

“My asshole father always brought flowers to my mother after he beat her up. It was his way of apologizing to her.” He growls. “It’s not something I do because of this reason.”

“You aren’t mad at Mathew because of that.”

Owen snorts. “He’s four. I’m not that stupid.”

“I just wanted to ensure that it wasn’t the reason you are leaving.”

He captures my lips with his. “You worry too much. Don’t forget you are mine, buttercup.”

I smile. “I’m always yours.”

“That you are, and don’t you forget it.” He warns me.

“Bye, Mathew.” Owen waves his hand at him.

“You’re leaving?” Mathew presses pause on his movie to see Owen.

“I have things to do. I’m sure we will see each other around.” They say goodbye with a fist bump before Mathew runs back in front of the tv to continue his movie.

Owen gives me a final smirk before he leaves my place. I know precisely what his smirk represents. I can’t wait for that moment to happen.

A couple of hours later, Harvey is at my door to pick up Mathew. The little guy hugs me, thanking me for his great day.

I had a great time with him as well.

Now the problem is that I want children. I can stop wondering if in the future, Owen would like to have children or if he is against the idea.

I shake my head. We are in a good place right now. I don’t want to jeopardize what we have with one question.

I can definitely wait.

Vote & Commet