Chapter Thirty-Five

I’m so anxious right about now. I don’t even know what’s going on between Owen and his father. I never saw Owen so angry before.

I shake my head. No, that’s not true.

I remember the night when I went out with Lola, a man spiced my drink, or when a customer slapped my asscheek. Owen had witnessed those events and was angry as he came to rescue me both times.

“Don’t worry, doll. Owen isn’t stupid. He knows what he’s doing.” Dean tries to reassure me while he gives me a cup filled with coffee.

When Dean informed me that he was bringing me to his place, I didn’t argue. I knew it was Owen who requested to get me here.

As always, he wanted to protect me.

“I can’t help but worry. The way Owen was holding his father up against the door. What if he does something worse than that?”

“As I said, he knows better than to do something stupid. Once he’s done dealing with his father, his next stop will be here. Trust me on this.” Dean smiles at me, taking my hand in his.

“Didn’t I warn you not to touch her?” A grumpy voice says behind us.

“Owen!” I let go of Dean to run straight to my man. I bring my arms around his waist, resting my head on his chest. “Are you okay?”

He lifts my chin until our eyes meet. Instead of an answer, Owen leaves a kiss on my lips. “He will never bother us. That’s a promise.”

Dean frowns at his words. “What did you do?”

Funny, a few seconds ago, he told me that Owen wouldn’t do something stupid. Now he decides to worry.

Owen took my hand to guide me to the couch where I was sitting. “Nothing. We talked. I mean, he spoke most of it. I wasn’t interested in his words, but he didn’t stop yapping.”

Owen grabs a cigar from his back pocket before sitting beside me.

I clear my throat. “What did your father say to you exactly?”

He takes a drag from his cigar. “Basically, he told me he was a changed man and would soon die. He’s sick. He even dared to ask me to be a witness when my parents celebrated their union. Tch, can you believe the nerve of that man?”

“Are you sure you won’t regret your decision later?” I ask as I take a sip of my coffee.

Dean coughs. “I think I’m going to take a shower or something and let you kids do the talk.”

Awkward.

I roll my eyes. Thanks, Dean. I say to myself.

“You think I don’t know what I’m doing?” Owen narrows his eyes at me.

Did I obsess him with my words? That wasn’t my intention.

I take his hand. He retracts his hand immediately from me as if he doesn’t want my touch.

That sting.

“I don’t doubt you.” I sigh. “I just don’t want you to regret your decision when he will be six feet under and too late to do anything to change things with him.”

Owen takes my hand, brushing his lips on my skin. “I already made up my mind about this a long time ago.” With his free hand, he cups one side of my face. “I love that you worry about me, but I know what I’m doing.”

I bite the button of my lips nervously. “I’m sorry.”

He leaves a peck on my lips. “You have nothing to be sorry for, buttercup.”

I sigh with relief upon hearing this. For a moment, I thought I went too far for middlings in his affair. I’m happy to know it isn’t the case.

“I was so scared you’d do something to your father that you couldn’t return from it. That’s why I called Dean.” I say what’s deep in my thoughts.

Owen arches his brows. “You mean when I had the asshole pinned up against the door?”

I nod my head.

He puts away a strand of my hair behind my ear. “I only did it to protect you. I wanted to make sure he wouldn’t be able to get to you.”

I lick my lips to moisten them as I see Owen follow the movement with his eyes. “You always do that.”

“What?” He asks once his eyes look at mine.

I caress the line of his jaw with my thumbs. “Protecting me. You’ve done it ever since I met you. Even if at the beginning you were a real jerk.”

“What can I say? You had me at first sight of you.” His eyes dance with humor.

I burst out laughing at his comment. “You’re so corny. Did you get that line in one of the movies you saw recently?”

Owen leans toward me to capture his lips with mine.

“So it would seem you made out.” Dean interrupts our little moment.

“And I think it’s our cue to leave,” Owen grunts, getting up as he shows me his hand for me to take.

He puts his cigar between his lips as I reach for his hand.

“you’re leaving so soon?” Dean complains, but I know it’s only an act to annoy his friend. “Before you leave,” Dean adds. “I think I deserve a reward.” He wiggles his eyebrows up and down.

Owen frowns.

I shake my head as I know what Dean wants. He will never give up, isn’t he? “I’m sorry. The answer is still no.”

If he wants Romy’s phone number, I’m afraid he’s alone on this one. I won’t cave on his charms. It’s not easy to change my mind. I won’t betray her trust.

I let go of Owen’s hand. I step closer to Dean. I get up on my toes to kiss one of his cheeks. “Thank you for your help.”

Dean looks at Owen with a smug written on his face.

I exhale a small quiet laugh while Owen reaches up to me. My eyes widen as Owen wipes my mouth with his hand, glaring at Dean.

Looking at him, I take a step back. “What did you do that for?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” He sounds irritated. “I’m whipping him off from your lips.”

I pinch the bridge of my nose. I don’t know what to say to that.

“I said this before, and I’ll repeat it. You got it bad, man.” Dean teases Owen.

And he’s no better.

“Shut up!” Owen replays.

Those two are brothers from different mothers.

Owen places his hand on the small of my back to guide me out of Dean’s place. I don’t argue as I let him escort me out of there.

As we step outside, Owen drags me into a hallway, pinning me against the nearest wall.

He captures our lips together, giving me a lush kiss. Owen brings our bodies closer together as I melt into him. I part my lips, depending on our kiss.

My body craves him.

We end our kiss once we need air to breathe as I see his lips swollen from our kiss.

“We better go before I decide to take you right here.”

I smile at him while he lets me down to reach for my hand. We walk until we reach his jeep. I get in as I wait for him to do the same.

Once we are on the road, I’m sure of one thing. I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

Owen is the only one for me. No one had protected me as much as he did.

Vote & Comment