Chapter Ten

After the day I had, it's so good to be out. I have to give it to Lola. She had a great idea when she asked me to go out to a club tonight. I didn't know I needed it until I was here.

I was having fun as I danced until a man came over to ask if I wanted to dance with him. I refused on the spot. I wasn't here to make new acquaintances. He wasn't happy, but thankfully, he didn't push and left me alone.

I knew wearing that dress would get me in some trouble. I borrowed it from Lola. I don't know why I let her convince me to wear it. It was too short, too tight, and too revealing for my liking.

I'm having a conversation with Lola when suddenly, out of nowhere, Owen is walking toward us. He doesn't seem happy. Yet again, he never seems happy, but this time, he seems angrier than usual.

My eyes grow big as a saucer in surprise seeing him here.

Did he follow me here?

Is this a pure coincidence?

What was he doing here?

Was he here to pick a new skank to bring her to his place?

Why do I even care what he's doing?

All kinds of questions pass through my mind. Honestly, I don't want to know, especially if he's here to pick some random woman to occupy his needs.

Ugh! Why do I even care?

Because you have the hots for him. A little voice inside my head answers my question.

No, I don't! I let out a chuckle. That's so absurd.

Keep lying to yourself.

I shake my head to get rid of this nonsense observation.

"Owen." I try. "What are you doing here?"

He doesn't acknowledge me as he passes right beside me. He stops right beside the table where my drink is.

"OWEN!" I shout his name, seeing him grab a man by his collar who was standing right beside our table. He obliges the man to sit on one of the chairs.

"Oh, my God!" Lola says beside me.

I look at her and then at the scene before me. That's when I recognize the other man. He's the same one who asked me to dance not long ago.

"Hey, what the fuck, man?" He tries to stand up, but Owen doesn't let him. He pushes him right back on the chair. "What the fuck is your problem? What the fuck is your problem?" He shouts.

"Owen, what's going on?" I approach him, putting my hand on his shoulder.

He ignores me once again, retracting abruptly his shoulder from my touch.

His gesture bothers me more than it should have.

Owen takes my drink in his hand to place it in front of the guy. "I saw what you did to that drink."

For a second fear appears in the man's eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Owen pushes my drink closer to the man. "Then you won't mind drinking it."

"What are you doing?" I ask without thinking.

Owen glares at me as if he's annoyed by me. He turns his attention back to the man again.

He crosses his arms in front of him. "I won't drink that."

"Is there a problem here?" A man with a black T-shirt written security on it asks Owen.

Lola leans her head toward me "What's going on?" She whispers.

I shrug. "I wish I knew."

"Yes, there is a problem." The one that's being held by Owen complains. He tries to stand up again, but Owen doesn't let him. He pushes him back on the chair with a little force this time. "You see what he did to me. Kick him out of here. All I wanted to do is to talk to this beautiful woman until that douchebag over here interfered. Now for some fucking reason, he wants me to drink this and it isn't mine."

The security guy doesn't seem impressed by what he just told him. "You need any help, Blake?"

"No, Ricky. I'm just having a little conversation here."

Okay, I'm lost here. Does Owen know the security guy? Is Owen working here?

I heard that some clubs have some undercover security so they can blend in with the crowd while they are wearing plain clothes.

Is that what Owen is here?

"What's going on here?" Someone else joins the party.

I recognize him. He was with Owen this morning at the dinner where I work.

"This clown over here spiked this drink while the owner wasn't paying attention to her drink." Owen lets out a growl.

"WHAT?" He shouts. "No, I DIDN'T!" The guy swallows nervously.

"Then you won't mind drinking it!" Owen spits in his face.

Owen once again came to my rescue. If it wasn't for him, I would have drank it and who knows where I would have ended up. Maybe he didn't do it for me. It's his job to make sure that no trouble would occur here.

I can't believe I was so reckless.

His friend takes my drink in his hand. "I'm calling the cops." He walks away with it.

"I got him, Owen. He won't go anywhere. Why won't you go and take a breath or something." Ricky suggests him.

Owen tightens his wrists, breathing heavily. "Do what you will. My shift is done anyway."

He then turns to us. "You girls, it's time to go home. I'll bring you myself."

Oh, now he's acknowledging me.

If he hasn't just come to my rescue I would have told him something about his stupid behaviour towards me.

Lola looks at the two of us. "Sure, it's getting late anyway. I'm sure Harvey will come home soon."

Lola and I gather our purses. Owen surprises me as he grabs my hand in his. He starts to walk out of the club, but his hold is a little tight for my comfort.

What's wrong with him?

"Owen, you're hurting me." I let him know.

He loses his hold on my hand, but he doesn't release it.

Ugh! I don't know what I'm going to do with this man. Sometimes he's such a jerk to me.

I need answers.

"Owen, would you talk to me?" My patience is in a fine line right now where he's concerned.

He's still giving me the silent treatment.

I hear a chuckle behind me. I turn my head, and Lola has a smirk on her lips, looking at us.

"What?" I ask her.

She scoffs. "Nothing."

"Well, that's my cue to go," Lola says as we enter the building. "Good luck." She turns to the hallway where her apartment is.

What's that supposed to mean?

We take the stairs, and when we are in front of his place, Owen lets go of my hand. He enters his place, leaving me alone in the hallway.

Oh, no, not that fast. As I said, I need some answers.

Without thinking, I open his door and enter inside. "What the fuck is your problem Owen?" I ask after I close it behind me.

He frowns, pinning me against the door. "You're my fucking problem!"

Oh no, what have I done now?

Vote & Comment