The Dilemma quotient

Silence ... There was absolute silence !

After Sujay dropped the bomb he stood there in silence waiting for Shonali to respond.

A look around the room and different emotions reflected on everyone's face .

Akshay was dismayed . He was furious at himself for not speaking up first. Arush kept a hand on Akshay's shoulder to show support. He was able to understand how Akshay must be feeling.

Unaware of Akshay's feelings Jeevika was very excited and was signalling Shonali to say yes . Maitri was looking at Sujay and trying to see through the sincerity in his words. She might have pestered Shonali to go on dates and meet new people but she also felt protective of her. Any red flag from Sujay's end and Maitri will be the first person to make his life hell !

    Sarika and Charu were ecstatic, they knew Sujay very well and were absolutely on his team right now ! They exchanged glances as to how they did not think of this earlier. Sameer would agree to anything Sarika said so that's one more member on Team Sujay .
Sneh was sitting silently and observing everything. After Maitri he was the one most possessive about Shonali . But he also knew Shonali would never go out with a person if she had even 1% of doubt about them.

Harsha and Ruhi were not present in the class , they had no idea what they missed ! It would be fun telling them all about today thought Palak .

Jeet was the happiest person in the room . He was proud of his friend's choice . One look at Sarika and he was convinced they can bring these two together ! They both passed a knowing smile and waited for Shonali's answer .

All eyes were on Shonali. She was still in shock , she could not believe Sujay had a crush on her and just asked her out !! And he mentioned Tea !!! He knew about her love for tea ?! That made her smile , but the truth was she had no feelings for him. He had never crossed her mind . It would be unfair to him if she said Yes but looking at Sarika's reaction she knew this will not be the end. She had no idea how she should respond.

It is easier to say No on a phone call or through messages. You are not able to see the vulnerability in the other person's face . This was the first time someone has gathered the courage to ask her out directly in person. That too a friend's friend. She felt trapped !

She could understand how humiliating it will be for Sujay if she said No to him in front of the entire class. Even though he mentioned not to worry about it. That is when she remembered the deal !!! She let out a huge smile and for a moment everyone thought she was about to say Yes ....

    Shonali stood up facing Sujay . His heartbeat was really making it hard for him to breathe . He was this close to her for the first time . He could see how her eyes were the darkest shade of brown and not Black which he initially thought. He could see a small scar on her right cheek and wondered what happened. He could smell her faint rose scented perfume. He looked at her , waiting for her to say something.

  She gave him a reassuring smile as she could feel how nervous he was. And with the brightest of smile she addressed everyone,
"I know you all are eagerly waiting for me to answer , especially you Sujay and I really feel glad you think so highly of me but unfortunately and luckily for me I cannot take this decision. "

   Sujay was confused for a moment. He thought she would say No but what did she mean by this ? Was it a Yes , or a No ? ! He looked at her for more clarity .

    Shonali looked at Palak and with the most mischievous grin raised her eyebrows at her . Akshay knew what was happening. Others were as confused as Sujay.

That is when Shonali answered their silent questions,
"I had a stupid deal this morning that whoever asked me out next will have to get Palak's approval. If she says Yes , it's a Yes . If she says No , it's a No ! "

"Hey don't call our deal stupid !! " exclaimed Palak.

   Palak knew this would come to bite her . She was as confused as Shonali. She hardly knew Sujay but being Sarika's friend was a plus she thought. She looked at Sarika who was literally begging her to say Yes .

She laughed at the power she had right now !! She looked at Sujay who was still in shock that his first date with his crush was dependent on this girl ! With hopeful eyes he smiled at Palak and gave her a curt nod.

Palak sighed and that is when she happened to look at Akshay's face and all color drained from her face!