Before the Storm

It was late at night when Sarika finally managed to call Shonali. They had a good conversation about the events of the day. Shonali very politely asked Sarika to convey her thoughts to Sujay. She hoped he was not getting led on . While Sarika subtlely let Shonali know that Sujay might be more serious about her than what it appears to be.

      After talking to Sarika , Shonali felt relieved. She assured Sarika that she will meet Sujay with an open heart will put her best foot forward but if she still didn't feel anything for him she will let him know very clearly instead of leading him on.
     As for Sujay , Sarika made sure he knows where Shonali stands and that he should not keep his hopes high.  Sujay was already prepared for this. He only needed this one date with her. Whatever her decision will be after this , he will respect it .

        Shonali had just snucked into her blanket after switching off her lights when she saw her phone pinged with an incoming message. She quickly opened the message only to be left speechless.

'Hey Shonali ! Sujay here . Sorry for texting you so late and I got your number from Sarika '

Okay it was supposed to be just a date right , was this included ? Should we be texting ? One thing will lead to another and next we know we are on the phone 24×7 !!! Shonali went into her overthinking mode again...

'Hey , you there ? I am really sorry I should not have texted you.  '

Another ping brought her back to reality. She stopped her train of thoughts and laughed it's just one message !
She quickly responded-

'Hi Sujay , sorry didn't know what to respond hence the delay. And it's absolutely fine , don't worry about it , you can text me whenever you want. '

She pressed send and then realized what she has written !

'I meant you can text me when you have something to say , don't get me wrong'

' Sorry , I didn't mean it like that ! Uff apologies Sujay I just wanted to make sure I am not leading you on '

Sujay laughed at her cuteness ! He quickly sent a response -
' Relax Shonali , no one is leading anyone on. I asked for a date and Palak gave the permission . You did not lead me on. Trust me I am only looking forward to the date and nothing else . '

She blushed at his response .
'Thank you for understanding Sujay '

'No worries , plus I got a good lecture from Sarika today to know better than to think too much '  he laughed remembering his conversation with Sarika.

'Ouch ! Sorry you had to go through that because of me'. Shonali knew how persistent Sarika can be .

If only she knew he was willing to go through anything to get to know her , to be with her. He sighed .

'So all is good between us , and the date is still is on right ? ' he typed , confirming her approval one last time .

She smiled , she was sure now .
'Yes Sujay , the date is still on , but please nothing too grand and we split the bill ! '

Sujay was surprised at her response , where has she been all his life !

'Will have to think about it 🤔 Have a good night Shonali , see you tomorrow in college '

'Good Night Sujay ! It was nice talking to you .. '

Shonali had a huge smile on her face before going to sleep . While Sujay slept peacefully after a long time .

Next day Shonali woke up and was getting ready for college when she received a text from Sujay -
' Good Morning ! Hope your day is as beautiful as you are ! '

     Shonali blushed , she was not expecting this . She quickly sent a Good Morning back and proceeded to check on her roommates.

The day went by in a blur , Shonali had a huge presentation to give today for her Business Wargaming class . She was prepping for it when she saw Sujay making his way towards her.
     She gave him a small smile , which he reciprocated with one of his signature smile. He is handsome , she thought.

   He saw she was busy with her presentation so thought of not disturbing her right now . He quickly wished her luck and joined his friends who were sitting in the last row.

    Shonali was totally engrossed while giving the presentation. She explained each slide and all of her findings with such zeal and clarity.
     Sujay was looking at her in awe. Is this the same Shonali who was fumbling for words yesterday? Business Wargaming was the  only class they both shared . Infact their entire group knowingly opted for this subject so that they all could have atleast one lecture together.

    Their faculty for this subject was Professor Batra ,  a retired army officer , who was very difficult to please. But Shonali's confidence and her level of research for a simple 10 minutes presentation impressed him . He made sure everyone else know he will be grading all other presentations with Shonali's presentation as reference and applauded her for understanding the assignment so well.

     Sujay felt a sense of pride seeing Shonali getting praised. He quickly hid his emotions when he heard some coughing from his side . Jeet and Sarika were having the time of their life teasing Sujay.

    As soon as the professor left the classroom , Sujay quickly sprinted to reach Shonali before anyone else does. He praised her for her presentation and waited for her while she gathered her stuff . Now with the stress of the presentation released , Shonali was finding it difficult to look at Sujay without blushing . She could not understand what was happening.
  Harsha's words crossed her mind 'Its only a date ,he is not asking you marry you ! ' and she laughed at her own silliness.

     Sujay was still standing there waiting for her , while amused at her changing emotions . One moment she was blushing next she was laughing at herself. He decided to bring up the topic before anyone else interrupted them .

   "Shonali , please be ready tomorrow , I will pick you up from your hostel gate at 11 am " he quickly let out in a soft tone , assuring no one else can hear them , otherwise their teasing marathon will begin and ruin his plans.

    Shonali just looked at him with a blank expression , trying to comprehend what he just said . The Date !!!! She realised , it's tomorrow !!!!