Pink Hearts

It was almost second week of February. Valentines week was around the corner but love was definitely not in the air this time ! Shonali looked around at her friends and it seemed as if this month has cursed all the couples . She was eagerly waiting for her class to get over when her phone alerted of an incoming message..

'Hey there ! Meet me outside the gate after your class. Please try if you can come alone ? ' Sujay had messaged her.

She quickly responded 'Sure , see you in 10.'

     As soon as the teacher left the class , Shonali told her friends she have something important to do , gave Palak a pleading look as if telling her to handle everyone and left towards the gate.

      When she finally saw  Sujay , she felt a weird sensation run through her . She was seeing him for the first time after the movie incident . So much has happened within last two days she realised.

     He was waiting for her near his car when he saw her walking out of the college gate. He was left awestruck! She was wearing a black sweater with blue jeans and had her hair tied in a braid just like she had for their date. She was looking so pretty ! Did she do this on purpose ? It will be so difficult to talk to her today he sighed.

    After they were settled in the car , awkwardness surrounded them . Not sure of how to start the conversation, both of them stayed silent . Finally Sujay decided to break the silence "You are looking beautiful today Shonali !" he said with a smile .

"Thankyou " she blushed .

    They were now sitting in a quaint cafe with very few people around. Everything was decked up in red for the upcoming week. There were red and pink hearts all around , roses were stocked up everywhere , there were offers and discounts displayed !

      In complete contrast to their surroundings, they both sat awkwardly looking at everything else but each other. Ofcourse Tea was ordered , and soon after having their first sip , they relaxed.

"Shonali , I don't know where to start from .. " Sujay started .
"Why did you not tell me earlier Sujay ? I know I do not have the right to expect you to tell me everything but I think this was important " Shonali stated.

Sujay looked at her in dismay, she has all the rights to know everything about him. "Honestly Shonali that first date happened so suddenly, I never saw it coming . So I completely forgot about the program . Trust me Shonali I had no intention to hide it from you .. "

Shonali looked at his face for any sign of foulplay. But it looked like he genuinely forgot about it .
"It was only day before yesterday when I received the mail that I remembered about it .. "

"And you decided to deal with it by hiding ? " Shonali's hurt was visible in her words.

"I am sorry Shonali, I had no idea what to do. " Sujay said looking down in shame.

"Can I ask you something Shonali ? Please be honest .." Sujay said after few minutes passed by without a word.
" Would things be different between us had you known about me leaving ? "

     Shonali thought for a while , she knows her answer but was worried he might get hurt. He should know the truth , " As much as I want to say No , the truth is yes Sujay things would have been different had I known you would be leaving soon.  I wouldn't have really kept our conversation going after the first date , I wouldn't have opened up to you so soon .." she replied in a slow voice.

    He was hurt , but he deserved it he thought...

Shonali continued " I am a very reserved person Sujay , I do not open up to people so easily. It's the only way I can save myself from the hurt when they leave.... Because it really hurts so bad when people leave .." he could feel how vulnerable she was right now.

"Where do we stand Shonali ? " he asked boldly . He wanted to know . He had to be sure .

"I don't know Sujay , I really don't know. As much as I like being around you , I cannot think of putting a label to it ... More so now that I know you will be leaving in few days" Shonali answered .

"We can talk daily , have video calls , we can stay connected if we really want to .. " Sujay suggested hopefully..

Shonali sighed " I am sorry Sujay, I cannot do this. I cannot give you hope when I am not sure about what I want. "

She looked up only to see hurt in his eyes. And she could not bear it. Why was him getting hurt affecting her so much ?

"Maybe we can stay friends and see if after four months and covering this distance we still feel the same for each other ? Maybe then we can think about what next..  " She said , giving him hope and at the same time hinting that maybe she will wait for him...

"And in the meanwhile if we find someone else , then we will know that we were never meant to be .. " she continued , bringing him back to reality .

"I am never going to find someone else Shonali. Because I don't want to. " Sujay said with a firm determination,  looking directly in her eyes.

    She saw the intensity in his eyes and could not keep up . She immediately lowered her eyes trying to hide her blush . Sujay fell for her a bit more in that moment...

"Sujay please promise me you will enjoy your trip to America like you would have , had our date never happened . I don't want to be the reason you hold yourself back no matter what . "

"I am sorry Shonali I cannot promise you that , because I can never forget that date or any of our conversations ... Or you ! And honestly I have no regrets that I didn't tell you earlier about the program otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the chance to know you like I do now ... "

      Sujay was now determined that till the day he leaves for America, he will show her what she means to her and what he thinks of her so that she will never have doubts about his feelings.... Be ready to be swept off your feet Shonali !

Soon they made their way towards Sujay's car when suddenly Sujay held her hand and stopped her. Shonali immediately turned around and looked at their hands and then at him.

"Shonali... Can I please hug you ? " He just wanted a moment of solace with her. Once they go back to college he knew Shonali will try to push him away.

     Shonali's heart was racing now , she understood where Sujay was coming from . She nodded and quickly took small steps towards him. Once they were inches apart they both could feel each other's heart beat ... Sujay quickly embraced her , holding her tightly as if his life was dependent on her. She was perfect for her he thought , she fit perfectly in his arms , and she reached till his shoulders so while hugging her head was perfectly placed where his heart was !

     Shonali was really nervous, she was trembling with an unknown feeling but slowly she started relaxing... It was so peaceful here in his arms she thought. She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding..

Suddenly Shonali became aware of their surroundings, "Sujay .." she said softly , "everyone is looking at us .."
She was getting uncomfortable with all the looks people were giving them .

     Reluctantly Sujay let her go but not before kissing the top of her head . Shonali was stunned at such affection ... They both stood there looking at each other , with Shonali blushing so much that her cheeks had turned pink and they matched with all the pink hearts decorated around them !

    They sat in the car and started towards their college in complete silence not wanting to ruin the moment they just shared...