It's Time

It was 10 pm and Shonali was sitting on the floor with her entire wardrobe spread around her . Her bed too was completely occupied.  She was not able to decide what to wear for the date tomorrow. She waited impatiently for her friends who had promised to help her pick an outfit . "Palak " she called for her roommate for the tenth time and let out a sigh. Where are they when you need them.

    After her presentation Sujay surprised her by letting her know he intended to take her out tomorrow . She was not prepared for this .

    It was Friday today and they had weekends off . For the hostel students , they were permitted to leave the hostel only on their off days that too after getting a day out pass from their warden . On her way to the hostel Shonali got her permission slip for tomorrow. She quickly texted the girls group letting them know of the emergency. Everyone decided to meet in Shonali's room at 10 pm to help her get ready for the date !

    She was looking at her room's door waiting for atleast one person to show up when her phone alerted of an incoming message. It was Sujay -

'Hey , just wanted to drop in to say please dress comfortably . Like you mentioned nothing grand :) '

     She was relieved , she hated dressing up .
She quickly pulled out her Maroon pullover and dark blue jeans which fitted her perfectly . Till the time everyone gathered she had already decided the outfit . After inspecting her choice , and giving her a few add-ons - a long silver chain , a cute bracelet and a matching bag all the girls sat down in the living area of Shonali's room .

    Anyone could easily see how nervous Shonali was. They all spent the next few hours trying to make her feel confident and comfortable. They did not tease her today. Everyone could feel the start of an epic love story . Everyone except Shonali herself.

   Shonali still had doubts if she should do this. What if after the date she likes him but he doesn't? What if he couldn't understand why she is the way she is ? A lot of what ifs were consuming her mind.

        On the other hand , Sujay was pacing around his room nervously . He had just realized this was Shonali's first Date Ever !! He also realised he had this one chance with her , if he screwed this up , he won't be able to forgive himself. He wanted to make it special but at the same time he remembered both Shonali and Palak's suggestion of not making it too grand .

       He knew of the perfect place which Shonali would love. He contemplated buying a gift for her but later settled for a rose and chocolates . Nothing too grand he chanted ! He knew how fussy girls are over what to wear . He had a sister after all. He decided to put Shonali out of her misery and let her know to dress comfortably.

    Sujay finally decided to have some sleep before the big day . He quickly texted Shonali , knowing she would too be worried about tomorrow -
'Hey ! Let's just be ourselves tomorrow and figure this out together ? No pressure :) '

    Shonali read the text , and smiled. Was he reading minds now ?
'Hey there! Yes please that would be great . I am looking forward to meet you tomorrow Sujay :) '

      Her response made him relax . He still had hope. He smiled and quickly sent a good night text and slept peacefully knowing tomorrow he will get to spend some time with her without any disturbance. 

     After sending her response to his good night text , Shonali too got up to retire for the night . She quickly wished her friends good night and thanked them for being there for her ! She gave Palak a tight hug . She was looking forward to the date and she knew she wouldn't have agreed to this if Palak hadn't intervened !!!

     As she laid on her bed , she somehow felt her life was about to change tomorrow. With these thoughts , sleep consumed her and she slept peacefully.

     Shonali woke up to Maitri shouting her name .
"Shonali get up , you have to get ready !! Shonalii "

It took her few minutes to realise it was THE DAY !!!!! HER FIRST DATE!!  She sat up quickly and looked at the time . She had good amount of time to get ready for the day.

    She ran towards the bathroom to start her day. Next few hours went by in blur. Between getting ready and all her friends helping her with her hair and makeup she felt overwhelmed. She could feel her nerves getting to her.
    She decided to keep it simple so she asked Harsha to just tie her hair in a french braid with few strands falling on her face . Maitri the makeup enthusiast wanted to show off her skills but Shonali disappointed her by refusing any makeup. Still she managed to convince her for a nice winged eyeliner , her signature kohl and a nude lipshade.
   Shonali knew she has not gone overboard yet when she looked at herself in the mirror , she felt different ! She was glowing !! On cue Sujay texted her -
' Good Morning You ! I will be reaching your hostel in the next 10 minutes. Can't wait to see you  :)'

She blushed at his message which caused her friends to cough and tease her.
Palak being the drama queen she is,  brought a bowl full of Curd and sugar as if Shonali was leaving for a Battlefield  ! This made everyone laugh and Shonali too forgot her nervousness for sometime..

    Shonali quickly had a last glance at herself in the mirror , picked up her sling bag and made her way towards the hostel gate.

   She saw his car quickly approaching and came to a halt few steps from her. He got down from the car and gave her a huge smile while quickly moving towards her .
     He stood in front of her mesmerized by her simplicity. She looked stunning he thought ! Her loose strands perfectly framed her face , and her eyes !!!!! He could just stare at her eyes the entire day !

    Shonali too could not ignore the fact that he was looking very smart today. Maybe he always did , she never noticed. They had to wear formals for their college everyday so it was refreshing to see him in casuals . His Denim shirt , with sleeves folded up till his elbows , gave a good view of his arm band tattoo . He had a slight stubble and had his sunglasses on . Shonali mentally scolded herself for checking him out !
     They suddenly realised that they were standing on the road for the past few minutes. He quickly moved and opened the door for her , "Let's do this , shall we ? "

She nodded and  smiled at him while sitting in the car. She waited for him to get seated and they drove off to their destination....