chapter seven

- y/n pov -

i was walking to the gym after school ended and was looking down at my phone where i had little flashcards typed out into an app.

in the middle of reading one of the little cards, my name was called out from behind me. "y/n?" i looked up from my phone and saw a girl walking towards me.

she looked vaguely familiar.

"maria..?" she nodded and my jaw dropped. "holy shit, i haven't seen you since what? when we were ten?" i ran up and quickly wrapped my arms around maria's waist. "so you're back? like temporarily back. forever? or until school is over?"

"i'm back." she confirmed before the two of us started speaking and screaming and getting all excited over two words.

maria was a childhood friend who was in the same grade that i was and she spent most days over at our house.

"who's getting murdered?" noya yelled from the gym as he poked his head out the doors.

"no one." i dragged maria towards the gym. yachi was standing to the side with kiyoko and she gave me a quick wave.

"kei!" he turned to look at me and then the girl standing next to me. "guess who's back?"

"is that..?"

"daisuke maria, the one and only." maria waved her fingers at the taller boy, and his eyebrows raised for a second before falling.

"ah, so you're back. great." the sarcasm was clear in his voice. i rolled my eyes at him and turned to find ukai.

"coach ukai! this is my old best friend, returning best friend, still best friend..?" i looked over to maria to find the right word to use but she just shrugged, as hopeless as i was.

"ouch, i thought we were your best friends, y/n." noya slapped kinoshita on the back. "you've been replaced, old chap."

"my time was good while it lasted."

"you two are still one of my closest friends." i spoke up and threw a volleyball in their direction causing them to split apart to dodge the ball.

"that was rude!" kinoshita shouted before going back into practice. i started to warm up since ukai asked if i could practice with the team again.

kiyoko took yachi to set up some chairs while i was stretching my limbs out. i was ready to go join practice when a ball suddenly flew in yachi's direction. her limbs seemed to have locked up, but hinata managed to run and hit the ball before it hit her.

"nice hinata!" yachi looked completely scared out of her mind. the ball was now heading in my direction and i decided to set it. i jumped up and set it to kei who hit it over the net.

there was one problem with my decision.

"y/n!" daichi didn't shout. it was more of the stern and captain voice. he caught everyone's attention and we looked over at him. his eyes weren't on my face though, they were on my stomach.

i looked down to see what he was looking at and realized my shirt rose up when i jumped. then my eyes widened when i caught what caught his attention.

my belly button piercing.

maria was smirking at me and daichi gestured for me to come over to him. i didn't. i did the complete opposite.

i ran.

"ennoshita!" i was almost out of the door before ennoshita picked me up over his shoulder and walked back to daichi.

"help, i'm being carried against my own will!" i dangled off his shoulder and wasn't put back down on my feet until we reached daichi. i noticed that kei was also confused. he didn't know about my piercing.

no one knew.

it was my little secret that i had. not even my mom knew and that would simply be the end of me if she did. the only way i got this piercing was because i used one of my older cousins to pretend to be my mom.

the worker looked like they couldn't have cared less.

"what was that?" daichi asked.

"what was what?"

"nothing, huh? how about we go to the beach then. go for a little swim and bring your mother along with us." he taunted me and i have no idea why that was so intimidating.

"okay, okay, relax. i have a belly button piercing." i announced and lifted my shirt up so they could see it. "i don't know why you wanted me to confess that."

everyone was looking down at my piercing before i lowered my shirt back down. i caught kageyama's eye and saw a little blush on his cheeks. "you okay?" i asked and he nodded, turning his head away.

we  went back to practicing and didn't stop until ukai told us to. takeda was standing next to him. i grabbed a water bottle and drank from it, not paying much attention to what he was saying.

"i  know this is rather sudden..." my attention wandered and i looked out the window. there was an owl sitting on one of the branches on the tree. i couldn't see the exact color of it from here, but i'm positive it was a white or grey color.

my eyes lingered on it more than usual. i'm not sure why my eyes were stuck staring at this owl for so long. i only looked away when the owl flew away.

it was a pretty owl.

~~~

"hey, i'm gonna head out early." i said to kei and yamaguchi who were catching up with maria. or at least yamaguchi and maria were catching up while kei just pretended not to listen.

keyword: pretended.

they all nodded at me and i sent them a quick wave before heading out. i put one earbud into my ear since having both of them in freaks me out during the night.

the walk home took three and a half songs. i stayed outside the front door to finish up the rest of the song before heading inside.

"hey mom, is akiteru still.." i paused when i spotted someone sitting in the living room. akiteru and mom were standing to the side and looked over at me when i walked in.

"y/n."

"dad."

~~~
final exams are so scary
literally help