chapter twenty six

- y/n pov -

i was early to our extra practice at gym number three since i couldn't find bokuto after regular practice. i was the first person in the gym and was sitting with my back against the wall while keeping my eye on the double doors.

"you're early." my brother was the first one through the door and looked over at me. he walked over and sat down on the floor next to me.

"hey. it's kinda nice to enjoy the quiet of the gym being empty." i said to him. "without the yelling or the volleyballs."

"you forgot your headphones didn't you?"

"i forgot my headphones."

"idiot. i thought you carried them around everywhere." kei glanced over at me.

"i did." i nodded. "that was cause i hated it when it was quiet." i didn't like it when it was silent, there had to be something playing in the background. music, tv shows, a movie, anything.

"and now you're sitting in silent, why..?"

"i didn't think i'd need my headphones." i took a short pause before continuing. "cause bokuto's usually around and he's never quiet so i don't have to carry around my headphones."

and it wasn't like i wouldn't bring my headphones to places that was going to be loud. i was attached to my headphones to the point that i bought them with me everywhere i went.

"he's good for you, you know?" kei stretched out his legs in front of him. "you're genuinely happy now, all smiley and you actually seem like a morning person." because of bokuto. "this whole group is making you happier than you are back home."

"they're making you pretty happy too. you stepped out of your comfort zone to join in practice and actually approach them first. well, to a certain point. oh, and maria."

"yeah." the smallest smile touched his face at the mention of his soulmate. "she's crazy though."

"crazy in love with you." i teased and knocked my shoulder against his. "we should transfer here." i said, not sure if i was actually joking or not. a part of myself wanted to because of bokuto and the others and because it was tokyo.

but the other part included my mom, brothers, maria, yamaguchi, kinoshita, and the karasuno volleyball team that made me fall back in love with the sport. i didn't want to give that up.

"now you're the crazy one." kei scoffed. "mom would cry if you moved away. then you'd be leaving me alone and as much as i love my personal time, i'd hate that."

i had to take an extra second to take in his words because he didn't say stuff like this often. "kei, can you say that again or write it down on a piece of paper so i'll always remember this moment."

"i hate you." he rolled his eyes at me, but there was still a small smile on his face.

"did you ever give akiteru sweet words like this when he went to university?" i questioned with a smile. "does this mean i'm your favorite sibling?"

"you're my favorite sister."

"i'm your only sister." i deadpanned. "unless you're including dad's second family." i gasped dramatically and this time kei actually let out a humorless laugh.

"am i your favorite brother?" he shot back at me and my smile dropped.

"i love you and akiteru equally." i refuse to choose between them.

"you sound like mom now."

"hey!" bokuto ran into the gym with kuroo and hinata behind him. i sat up a little straighter when he appeared and watched as he did a quick sweep of the gym before his eyes landed on us. "tsukkis!"