chapter eight

- y/n pov -

i wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole. but instead, i was sitting next to akiteru and across from my dad.

i'm currently trying to recollect every bad decision i've made for myself to be in this position. was this karma for getting a piercing without my mom's permission? i am so sorry mom.

nope, didn't work. i'm still here.

"you've grown so much." he started and i had to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

"the last time you were here, i was ten." i leaned back in my seat and my eyes looked at the couch cushion in front of me. is that a thread sitting out of the stitching? oh look, it's that stain from when kei spilled orange juice onto the fabric when he was eight.

"do you want some tea? i think it has your favorite" he gestured to the table that held a teapot that mom always kept out and filled with tea if we ever had guests.

i hated tea.

"why are you here?" i sighed. "just get to the point."

"i'm getting remarried in a couple of months and were wondering if you wanted to go." he answered and poured himself a cup of tea.

no. immediately no.

"is anyone else going?"

"they're waiting for your answer. said if you went that they would go as well." my eyes flickered to my brother and he sent me an apologetic smile.

it was simple. if i didn't go, we would all be happy and just stay home without having to see our dad until his next surprise six-year visit. if i did go, they would go and we would sit through the wedding and everything together.

the decision was easy.

before i could get my answer out, my dad opened his mouth. "there's also something else." that kind of worried me.

"yeah?"

"she's pregnant." holy shit. "with our second child." holy fucking shit.

akiteru and i both shared the same look of confusion. "how old is your first child?" akiteru asked and dad winced, already knowing his answer wasn't something we wanted the answer to.

"five." he paused before adding. "and a half." i quickly did the math inside my head.

five and a half months. nine months of pregnancy before the baby came. he left six years ago. which meant he was already off starting a new family before he officially left this one.

"you left us for them?" i sat up and akiteru gently placed his hand on my shoulder. dad stayed quiet and i could feel my mom breathing heavily next to me. "why?"

"why what?"

"why did you leave us for them?" he reached his hand out for me when he saw tears pooling in my eyes but i recoiled and leaned closer to akiteru.

i wasn't sure if they were from anger or sadness. probably both.

"please don't." mom's hand came onto my back and started rubbing it comfortingly. she hasn't spoken a word since i came home and i doubt she spoke to him before that.

"i'm sorry, y/n."

"that doesn't fix anything."

"i want to fix things."

"you don't understand." i wiped a finger below my eyes to wipe any tears that could've fallen. "you can't invite us to your wedding with your new wife and expect us to be okay with that. you left us for the past six years with no word of where you were or if you were okay! and you never once bothered to ask how we were doing." my voice was getting raised with every word.