chapter thirteen

- y/n pov -

it's been a week since we left the training camp and i talked to bokuto all seven days since we left. it started off with texting and then we called each other for the past two days.

yesterday, he ended up talking me to sleep (not that his words were boring) and when i woke up for school the next day, he was still there.

i could hear his soft snoring on the other side and quickly hung up before he woke up. to save myself from a possible awkward conversation when he woke up.

"hey." maria was walking quickly to catch up to me. "can i come with you?" she asked. "our coach is sick and she told us to take a day off." maria joined the girl's volleyball team after she came here.

"yeah sure." we walked into the gym where the boys were spilt up into two teams.

"y/n!" suga called out. "can you join our team? they got noya and we need a libero." i nodded and hurried into position. i took some time to stretch and warm up before we actually started to play. 

i was in the middle of stretching when the ball flew over the net out of nowhere. and it was headed right at me. i stopped stretching and positioned myself under the ball so it easily went back into the air.

"stop targeting our unprepared player!" tanaka shouted and waited for suga's set.

"that's exactly why we aimed for her!" daichi yelled back and kept his eye on the ball. tanaka hit it over the net and we waited for the other team. kageyama and maria both dived for it, but it had already hit the floor.

we all played until our energy was spent and ukai told us to stop. my limbs were all sore and aching by the end and i earned a few new bruises on my arms and legs. i banged my knee against the gym floor and that hurt like a bitch.

"you good?" maria looked down at me when i slumped against the wall, stretching my leg out to relieve the tension. i nodded and placed my hand above my knee. i wasn't in excruciating pain, but it was one of my more painful injuries. 

"is she okay?" i heard kei ask maria. yamaguchi also leaned in and looked down at me in concern. i suddenly wanted to crawl away at the attention i had on me.

"yams, help." i held up my arm and he grabbed my hand to pull me up. i stayed standing for a few seconds before walking forward. it was okay, bearable.

"we'll meet you guys at the front gate." i said to the two guys while maria and i walked out to the front gate.

"your phone is lighting up." she pointed out and pulled out my phone from the side pocket of my backpack. i took it from her grip and checked the text. a small smile found its way to my face when i read the name.

bokuto: are u home yet? i have a paper due tomorrow and i wanna get your feedback on it

y/n: almost, twenty minutes maybe?

bokuto: that's so long :(

y/n: that's what she said.

bokuto: sigh

y/n: did you just sigh over text

bokuto: SIGH

kei and yamaguchi came down a few minutes later and we started walking home. we did our usually route of dropping yamaguchi off and then going back to our house. we usually walked maria home first but she was staying over for a little longer. we invited yamaguchi over, but he said his mom wanted him home early for dinner.

"how was your day?" mom asked when we walked through the front door. "oh hello maria! nice of you to stop by." she smiled at maria. i turned into the kitchen to get a bottle of water while my mom was probably sending questions to maria. and kei mostly likely already went upstairs to his room.