[2] Impaired

"Damn, my head hurts."

That was the first thought I had when waking up that quiet morning. I raised my hand to back of my head, but it inflicted great pain at the slightest touch. I groaned at the throbbing ache that took over my head. Dizziness built up, making me unable to sit up. I laid there for the next few minutes trying to regain my clear conscious. I just felt incredible weak and sick to my stomach. I probably had Kendo practice today, so there was no time for me to feel sick.

I quickly sat up, then took a moment to stretch out my arms and rub the sleepiness out of my eyes. Once I opened them, I realized that something seemed quite different. I blinked a few times to focus my vision, then carefully looked around me. I was in a small room with two sitting chairs and a machine that was regularly beeping. But something wasn't right. I somehow could only see one kind of color.

I rubbed my eyes again and opened them to still see the same result. I was sitting on a hospital bed and didn't understand why the hell I was here. I held out my hands in front of me, but all I could see was a very gray color on my skin. I looked at my wrist and noticed the hospital band that indicated my name, age, and blood type. I immediately got out of bed and stood on the cold tile floor with my bare feet. When I walked forward, the needle on my right wrist moved within my skin as I tugged it along. It hurt so much that I abruptly pulled the IV stand by me as I walked towards the window.

It was so dark in here. Maybe that was why I couldn't see so clearly. I pulled up the blinds and streaks of light instantly blinded me. I covered my eyes to the intense rays, but slowly unveiled them to the image in front of me. I could see the trees, the parking lot with many cars and the main road by it. But still there was something wrong.

Why could I only see things in black and white?

I rubbed my eyes once again. I rubbed them hard enough to clear out any dust or particles that might had blurred my vision. As I opened my eyes, nothing has changed. Everything was dark and gray. Everything seemed so cold and lifeless. I was completely baffled to why I was seeing no color. All I could tell apart were the darkest and the brightest of things. There was no way for me to distinguish what was red, blue, yellow, green or any other color.

All of these shades of grey were flooding my vision.

I couldn't believe it. Maybe I was going crazy. Maybe my head was playing tricks on me. Was there something in my eyes that was making me not see any colors. Even when I looked at my own hands, I couldn't tell what color they were. I didn't know if I was pale or even tanned. I didn't know if this was temporary or permanent.

All I could do was scream.

"Jungkook-ah!"

I looked up to see a nurse rushing to my cries.

"Oh my god, you're awake. What are you doing on the ground?"

Even she turned out looking pale. Her hair seemed grey like an old lady. Her lips were dark, looking like she applied lipstick, but I couldn't tell of what color. And the color of her eyes - were they brown or blue grey? The more I tried to figure it out, the less answers I got.

"W-What's happened to me?" My voice trembled. "Why can't I see any color besides black, grey and white?!"

"Jungkook, please calm down." The nurse advised. "Let me help you back to your bed."

"No!" I pushed her away. "What the hell happened to me? Tell me!!"

I demanded answers. No one was going to force me anywhere until someone told me what was going on.

"We need back up in here!" The nurse yelled out to the hallway.

In came rushing in two more nurses. They grabbed hold of my arms and legs, pulling me up to the bed. I didn't want their harsh grip on me. I wanted to fight back, but my body was so weak. It felt like I was in a mental hospital, where the nurses had to keep me attained before I hurt someone. All I could do was scream and shout loudly, hoping that something or someone would get me out of this hell hole.

I saw one of the nurses pulled out a needle with a bit of serum in the syringe. My eyes widened to that sight, seeing only a light gray color to the liquid. The other two nurses strongly held me down by my arms and legs, subjected me to take on this shot.

I didn't want it. I refused to have anything injected inside of me. I needed to get out of this nightmare.

"Oh my god.. Jungkook-ah..?"

That sweet voice. It was a voice that I could never be mistaken.

"Umma?"

I stopped my resistance and looked up to see my worrisome mother with her hands covering her opened mouth. Her eyes augmented to a shocking expression, looking like she hadn't seen me in a long time. Even my mother looked pale and colorless. Her hair color seemed lighter, but was it always that light before? Before I knew it, she ran to my side and collapsed onto her knees.

"Jungkook-ah!" My mother began to sob. "You're awake! I can't believe you're actually awake!"

"A-Awake..?"

I didn't understand what she meant. Was I asleep for a while?

"What's going on, umma?" I questioned her with such fright in my eyes.

At that moment, everyone was silent. I looked at everyone surrounding me and all of them had this sorrowful, distressing look on their faces. More anxiety grew within me since no one was able to answer my question. I gripped onto my mother's hand and shook her to demand answers.

"Umma, why aren't you answering me? What the hell has happened to me? Why am I only seeing black and white?!"

When my mother's eyes trembled with extreme worry, I knew that even she didn't know. And when I looked back to the nurses, they certainly were confused and unsure of what had happened either. All I could see were the dark, black emotions that everyone was harboring around me. Not a hint of happiness could break this lifeless moment.

In the corner of my eye, I saw a doctor walked into the room to see the crowded sight around me. The nurses scooted back for the doctor to closely approach me on the other side of the bed. I blinked a few times to take a good look at him, but my eyes couldn't distinct the colors that he wore. The more I kept seeing black and white, the more I felt like I was dying.

"Jeon Jungkook. My name is Dr. Lee and I'll be the one treating your condition."

"W-What happened to me?"

The doctor inhaled before revealing the news.

"You were in a car accident and you were in a coma for two weeks."

My ears couldn't believe what I was hearing. A part of my memory was hazed, not remembering how the accident happened.

"B-But... why am I only seeing black and white??"

There was another deafening silence. I couldn't take anymore of this silence.

"Tell me! Why am I only seeing black and white?!"

"I'm sorry, Jungkook. Your vision may be permanently impaired."

All I saw was black again.