[6] Long Corridor

It had been three weeks since I was admitted to the hospital. My routine was simple-wake up, get my levels checked, assisted exercises and walks, lunch, a daily appointment with a different specialist every week, a short nap, dinner, a visit from my mother, then wind down to bed. I didn't mind those morning check-ups and supervised walks, while the food hadn't gotten any better.

However, I hated the daily appointments. Since my medical case was quite uncommon, the hospital had to bring in several specialists that could source a cure to my condition. Each doctor probed around my eyes, shined light directly into my pupils and at times, stretched my eyelids open until my eyes were burning with dryness or became tearful due to the dryness. Even my eyes were subjected to cold, stinging and even numbing droplets. I felt like more of an experiment than a patient. And in all honesty, it didn't look like they knew what the hell they were doing.

My main attending physician kept saying that all of these procedures were one step closer to my cure. That was said to me whenever I had no hope-and that was a lot of times. My mother got tired of me having no faith in the doctors' efforts. A long sigh or a side-eye glare at me was her way of silencing my doubts. It was hard to keep faith when my whole life was basically taken from me.

"Jungkook, it's time for your next appointment." The attending nurse reminded me.

I continued to stare out to the window and followed the rhythm of the branches swaying in the wind.

"Jungkook? We need to prepare you to move to your appointment now."

Her voice was making me irritated. "No, I don't want to go today."

From the sense of it, I could feel her agitation, too. The sound of her soles tapping rapidly on the tiled floor can drill holes like a jackhammer on concrete.

"Do I need to call your mother? She really wants you to get better." The nurse attempted to

"She shouldn't count on it. At this rate, there's no progress or a sense of progression. It's really all hopeless."

Her rapid foot tappings turned into hesitant steps and suddenly found the nurse blocking my view of the swaying branches. I could see the anger in her eyes, but observed the water behind them. I was ready to accept whatever lash out she'd unleash, but she took a deep breath and utter out a couple of words.

"Please don't give up yet. You'll be able to train again soon."

Her words were simple and common, but there was a level of sincerity that carried them. In fact, they lightened up my mood a bit. I shouldn't be difficult with her since she was only doing her job and she did want to help me.

I extended my hand out to her with a light corner smile. "Would you mind helping me up?"

The vibe in the room immediately lifted up. With the nurse's assistance, I slowly stood up and began walking out of my hospital room. My legs were still somewhat weak; most likely from the car accident that I still remembered very little of. The nurse usually allows me to walk before her at a steady pace. The first couple of walks were a bit to get used to and the nurse walked beside me for assistance. With every walk, I got a little stronger and that was what I aimed for-to quickly get better so I can be back on that training mat with my sword.

Every time we pass by the recreation area, I remembered the UNO game and how I won that day. That memory tied in with the mysterious boy that allowed me to win. I couldn't help but wanted to search for him since then. Day after day I passed by that area, I slowly came to a stop and carefully checked to see if that boy was there. After three weeks, I figured that he got discharged and continued on his life outside of the hospital. However, he said that we would hang out again soon; not even sure what "soon" meant anymore.