Endless - Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Adelaide - May

What the h*ll am I even doing?

After five months of being away, I am actually back in Ohio. I'm back in the state where everything felt so right, yet turned out to be so wrong. The place where I fell so hard, just to ignore my feelings and leave.

I don't know what is in store for me - h*ll, I don't even know why I decided to come back. But I do know that whatever happens, happens.

Because it's finally May.

And everything is about to change.

***

I frantically search for a clock.

And I suddenly want to smack myself in the face because there is a clock on my phone. I whip it out quickly and realize that I'm seriously crunching on time. Speed walking down the terminal, I am greeted by the bustling airport.

I run a hand down my face, and I want to scream.

Least to say, the flight was not so great.

Actually, the flight was terrible - an utter killer.

I was supposed to arrive in Ohio last night, but the d*mn airplane got delayed. This caused the flight to be cancelled, and I had to fly out this morning. And if you knew me well enough - which you all probably do by this point - I am not, in any way, a morning person.

And to make matters worse, I was stuck in Atlanta for almost five hours because there was no other d*mn plane for me to take. There were a million planes, but none were departing for Ohio. F*cking fantastic.

Today just was not turning out to be my day.

Rushing into the bathroom with my carry-on in tow, I quickly walk into a cubicle and strip out of my sweats and t-shirt and into a lavender summer dress. Slipping on a pair of wedges, I walk out and inspect myself in the mirror.

The dress is made of a light material, with thicker straps at the top. It stops mid-thigh and has a tassel-like belt. I honestly didn't know what to wear to the wedding, so I decided to be safe and wear this. Plus, it's the only dress that I own that would be appropriate. I'm not that big on dresses.

I glance at my hair and cringe. My short hair falls past my collar bone, with a slight wave to it - this would look okay on a regular day, except for the fact that it's disheveled and matted. I try my best to fix it but there's no hope - oh well, screw it.

Walking closer to the mirror, I pull out a tube of mascara and swipe a few coats on. I dab a small amount of lipstick onto my lips. After spending the last few months in the company of Cassie, I've become quite fond of the products.

Checking the time again, I race out of the bathroom and go outside.

I walk up and down the sidewalk, searching for my ride... that is, until I realize that I don't have one. The thought freezes me and all I can do is start cursing the world.

After I made the decision to attend the wedding, I never contacted Melanie again. I never actually told her that I was coming. But now that I'm thinking about it, I really should have. God knows how hard it is to find a cab around here.

After mentally smacking myself in the face - for about the thousandth time - I hurry back inside and to a concierge behind the front desk. She looks friendly enough, I guess. Maybe she can help?

Walking up to her, she flashes me a bright smile. But before she can ask me anything, I'm already speaking.

"Excuse me, but I was wondering if you could get me a ride? I haven't been having a good day. And my flight was delayed yesterday and I have somewhere really important to be and I'm already running late and God knows Melanie would kill me if I didn't-"