Endless - Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Adelaide - May

Cheers erupt as the happy couple kiss.

I can't help but zone out as I watch them walk down the aisle. As Melanie passes, her eyes widen as she notices me in the seats. Before she has the chance to actually grasp that I'm there, Dan pulls her out the doors, the rest of the wedding party following behind.

After the crowd starts to fade, I quickly slip outside. As I make my way outside, I notice everyone sitting at a table, talking with the guests around them. I go off to the side, minding my own business. I don't really know anyone, having not been in Hudson that long.

I'm about to head to an empty table when something catches my eye - well, two somethings. My eyes land on Nash's arm wrapped around a tall dark haired girl, who has her arm wrapped around his waist. They're talking with the band, both laughing at something someone said.

Something courses through me. Anger? Pain? Sadness?

Just as I'm about to turn around and run away, run away from this h*ll that I've dragged myself in, I'm pulled to the side. When I finally drag my eyes away from Nash and this girl, they land on a certain brunette who looks a little pissed at me.

"You cut your hair?!" is the first thing that comes out of her mouth.

I self-consciously run my hands through my hair, before smiling up at her, "Hello to you too. You look beautiful, Mel. Congratulations."

She wraps me up in a hug, "You don't know how pissed I am at you. But I'm glad you're here."

I hug her back, taking comfort in the feeling of being with my best friend again. Not seeing her these past five months has taken a toll on me; I've missed seeing her almost every day.

"What kind of a friend would I be if I missed my best friend's wedding?"

Melanie frowns a little, "Well, you did sort of leave unannounced. I never thought I would see you again. You took off, leaving all of us in a confused frenzy. Especially-" she pauses before continuing. "Especially Nash."

My eyes wander back over to him and something in my stomach flips. It doesn't look like he's had a rough life.

Melanie must sense my confusion because she draws me back in, "You should go talk to him."

"Talk to him?" I laugh, "You're joking, right? That's the worst thing I could ever do. He looks... happy."

The girl with short dark hair leans against his body and he gently caresses her hair. I feel my stomach fall and nausea rise up.

"Everyone hides behind masks, Adelaide. You of all people should know that," she says, giving me a look. "Trust me when I say you need to talk to him."

The sun is setting and delicate lights hanging on the covering of the patio are slowly turning on. The reception was beautiful and dreamy. I should feel elated for my best friend, but all I want to do is run away and never look back.

Music starts playing as dusk begins to fade in. Melanie and I talk for a few minutes - filling each other in on what we've been doing. I tell her about fixing things with my father. She tells me about her life with Dan and Micah.

Even though I'm listening, my eyes keep wandering over to the one person who currently has his arms wrapped around someone else. I know that I don't have the right to be jealous, but seeing them together bothers me.