Endless - Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Adelaide - May

I can't stop the smile that graces my face.

It probably looks stupid and drunk, but I can't keep it away. And honestly, I don't care at all. I don't care that people are looking and staring. I don't care about any of the attention we may be bringing.

Because for the first time in months, I'm happy.

And nobody's going to take that away.

As we make it past the lights of the patio and music from the stage, the chill of the night finally hits me and I shiver. Noticing my little movement, Nash stops and gives me a look of concern.

"Are you okay?" he asks, stepping closer to me - close enough for the heat of his body to warm mine.

I am now. "Uh... just a little cold, but I'm fine."

He shakes his head and then takes off his tux jacket. Wrapping his arms over me, he places the jacket over my narrow shoulders. Taking a deep breath, I inhale the scent of him and I feel warmth course through me instantly.

"There," he says and then flashes me the most beautiful smile.

Nash, who is still clutching onto my hand for dear life, walks us to his car and opens the passenger door for me. As I slip inside the car, he runs to the other side and quickly starts it up. The radio cuts on and he reaches over and lowers the volume.

A comfortable aura fills the car as Nash drives out of the parking lot while a random station plays. I sink into the seat, a small smile still adorning my lips, and I think what a day it's been.

Last month, I didn't even really want to come back to Ohio. The memories of this place were too bittersweet - meeting, falling, and loving. I didn't want to be heartbroken again. But as I replay the moments of the last hour in my head, I realize that I left my heart here. In Ohio. With him.

And I had to come back and retrieve it.

But the funny thing is, I don't want it back. I want him to keep my heart for me - safe within him... forever. And in return, I want his heart too. The question is, is he willing to give it to me?

I'm lost in my thoughts when I feel a hand grasp my own and gently squeeze. I look over and though Nash doesn't stare at me, because he's focused on the road, he still has that smile on his face. My heart swells and I squeeze his hand back.

The trees pass by just as fast as songs play.

I zone in and out, not bothering to really listen to the music because it's just not really style. And then a song comes on that is familiar.

"Late nights, won't do me justice

Cause when I drink... I just get so d*mn depressed,

And it's not like, I ain't trying to get over you.

It's just hard to look at all the seasons, pass me over too..."

The song continues to play and I feel my heart skip a beat.

"One last phone call from you, it wouldn't hurt much,

Just like to hear your voice and pretend to touch,

Any inch of you that hasn't said it all or read it all or sung