Chapter 5: Sweet, Sweet Death𖤛-𝚅𝚒𝚘𝚕𝚊-𖤛

The smell of grass and pollen overflows my senses.
I quicken my pace and wince at the pain in my leg.
I can't keep running for much longer.
The guards scream from behind me and I continue.
I try to avoid the large hedges that decorate the front lawn of the castle.
The moon shines onto a water fountain in the middle of the whole lawn, but I don't pay attention to it.
I don't have time and I don't want to anyway.
I've lived here my whole life, and yet everything seems so different at night.
The guards footsteps come closer, closer, closer-
My legs stumble on a piece of cobble and fall to the floor.
Deep voices boom behind me.
A sharp pain stings my leg and tears well in my eyes.
I'm alone and hurt, if my sister finds me, I'm done for.
A deep heavy breathing startles my thoughts and I scramble forward.
A large guard is standing a few inches from where I was sitting just before, his sword pointed to my heart.
"Please, please."
I beg, but the man does nothing.
His eyes are both focused on my face and blank.
"I-,"
My teeth tremble.
I need to leave.
The sudden urge to stay overwhelms me, but I can't. It's too late.
I get to my feet and run.
The trickling sound of water becomes more distant and quiet.
Looking back, I see the distant view of the castle and it's front lawn.
Slowing down, I take in the castle for what may be the last time.
Cobble bricks dress the castle and gargoyles stand at the rooftop.
Windows are everywhere, yet, not one is lit.
Trees whistle around me.
Faint torches glow near the gate of the lawn.
I take a step back and instantly suck my teeth, as my leg starts to burn.
Dry leaves crackle under my boots.
"THERE SHE IS!"
A man yells, and I jolt, realizing they've spotted me.
I turn my back to the castle and run.
Memories, happy memories, circle my mind more and more with each step I take.
A maid gives me a strawberry from the garden.
I'm past the dirt trail, and the village seems to be coming closer.
I play with some toys in my room.
I enter the town.
My sister pushes me off the balcony-
"STOP!"
A guard yells.
I jump into an ally in between two tall buildings. I hit my shoulder hard on the floor but I managed to crawl behind a dumpster.
I hear the guards footsteps trailing behind me and into the alley way.
I cover my hand over my mouth and force my loud and exhausted breathing to dissipate.
My thigh is burning and I start to see blood trailing down the side of it.
I choke on my scream and slap my other hand over my mouth. However, I can hear the guard's armor clink and the loud footsteps of his boots start to walk towards my direction.
Shoot! They'll never let me out of their sight again! I will have to be a prisoner in my own castle! I can't stand the thought of having to stand behind my sister as she rules in a sinister way. I can already think of all the torture she plans to create.
If only I was older. I can rule this dump better than she ever can. A dark thought flashes through my mind, but a loud crash comes from behind me.
I whimper and spot a ladder on the dirty wall of the alleyway.
I then jump onto the ladder and turn my head away from the noise so they can't see my face. As I'm desperately climbing up the ladder, my leg starts to go numb.
When I reach the top of the building, a piece of metal snags at the wound. I let out a loud scream and stumbled over a rock. No no no no.
The curb of the building is in the way of my foot and I fall. I fall and fall until I hit something hard and soft at the same time.
My head is throbbing. I looked down to see what had blocked my fall. A beast- human- death.