Chapter 20: The Invitation𖤛-𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚝-𖤛

"Aldietha, did you get all of that?"
My servant hurriedly writes everything I had just said down onto a piece of parchment.
"Yes Ma'am."
She tells me.
Good.
"Repeat it then."
I gesture with my hand for her to speak.
"The Royal Queen, Margret, has invited you, Sir. Lucian, to the royal ball.
You are not permitted to bring a plus one, servant, or any weapon of any kind.
Dress your finest.
Sincerely,
Queen Margret"
Aldietha finishes talking and I sigh.
I would take out the "sincerely" part, but apparently it's formal.
Aldietha scurries away to mail the letter.
I wonder how a woman as fragile as her can accelerate at such a speed.
The Guards alongside my throne shuffle at the quick movement, and my eyes seem to automatically roll at the sudden gesture.
I lift my hand to the diamond encrusted crown sitting atop my head. My fingers circle around each diamond, and I sigh,
"MAID!"
A rather scrawny looking girl scurries into the room, managing to catch herself before she tips over.
I dismiss the action, not wanting to waste my breath on correcting this servant girl.
"Read my plans back to me."
I wave my hand in a motion that indicates her to start talking.
The servant girl just stares at me, her mouth agape and legs facing toward each other like a crow.
"Are you deaf, girl?
I fix my gaze into her eyes and grip the gold edge of my throne.
"Read. My. Plans."
The girl gulps and pulls out a paper from her pocket.
A cold wind seems to rush through the marble pillars in the throne room, and I soak it in, feeling power with every breath.
The girl shivers and, not to my surprise, reads aloud.
"Ahem..."
The maid clears her throat once more.
I wish to wrap my hands around it and make her speak faster.
"The Royal ball will be quite a festive event."
She gulps and continues,
"Royalty and Nobles across our surrounding kingdoms will join us in this event. There will be wine from the Kingdom of Saxon, and cheese from the Kingdom of Tarugon.
"The Guests of each kingdom will surely enjoy this moment and talk about it for ages to come."
The last of the girl's words come out shakily.
I think about the ravishing decorations around the ballroom and my hall dress.
I Don't actually care about the party, it is a diversion.
I care about who's attending, who has power and wealth, who will die and give it all to me.
"Off with her head."
The maid's eyes widened at the statement, like an animal caught at night.
A guard comes to drag the girl away and I snicker at her desperate screams for forgiveness.
Suddenly, the screams become muffled and I look down to see the guard putting a cloth on the maids mouth.
Soon, the maid is gone with the man.
The girl's screams remind me of my sister.
A little girl falling off a balcony crosses my mind.
She's still alive.
"Guard. Have you had any updates on the huntsman?"
I question the man to my right.
"No my Queen."
He whispers.
"Find him."
I scream.
"THIS MAN BETTER BE IN MY SIGHT WITH MY SISTER BEFORE THE BALL!"
The guard looks up, startled, and jogs out the castle doors.